/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */


David,

Actually, I've tried it both ways (windows dns -> linux box and windows dns
-> ISP dns servers).  Did you used to have it working w/ the linux box as a
caching name server?  It broke when you upgraded to the 2.2.12 kernel?  I've
actually had several people recommend having the windows machine point to
the ISP's dns vs. the linux box.  I'm not sure why, though...

I think we're actually having different problems.  You were probably able to
successfully do windows telnet and web browsing to static IPs even w/o dns
working, right?  I am not.  It seems as though the return packets are
getting corrupted or something (telnet sessions hang right after login, and
web browsing hangs at "host contacted, waiting for reply).  I can ping to
static IP's but anything that involves a more complex packet/protocol (http,
dns, telnet, etc) doesn't work...

I guess defrag probably isn't the problem since both the external and
internal interfaces have MTU=1500.

I'm beginning to suspect the 2.2.14 kernel, since I have changed
distributions from Debian 2.1 (based on a 2.0.x kernel, but upgraded by me
to 2.2.14) to Mandrake 7.02 (based on the 2.2.14 kernel) and am experiencing
*exactly* the same weird problem.  The only other things that have remained
constant are the configuration parameters, which I doubt are the problem,
since I followed the IP-MASQ HOWTO pretty damn closely, the Win98 machine,
which worked fine when connected directly to the cable modem, the Linksys
10/100 hub and NICs, which seem to be working fine, and the cable modem,
which worked fine when directly connected to the Win98 box.

The only other thing I can thing of that might cause problems is this... 
Media One Roadrunner in LA locks the cable modem to the MAC address of the
NIC.  In order to be able to switch back and forth from having my Win98 box
directly connected to the cable modem (which works) to connecting my
Linux/MASQ box to the cable modem (which doesn't), without having to swap
hardware, I am using ifconfig to change the MAC address of the Linux box's
external adapter to match the Win98 box's MAC address.  What this means is
that in the MASQ setup, the external NIC of the linux box and the Win98 NIC
have the same MAC address.  Could this cause problems?  I would think not,
since they're not on the same LAN, but I'm not exactly a networking guru... 
If this is the cause of the problem, it's gonna be a big pain in the ass,
becuase the Win98 box's NIC is not supported under linux (it's an SVEC
10/100 PCI card), so I'd have to have Media One change the MAC address that
it's locking to, which could take weeks...  Plus I wouldn't be able to
manually switch back and forth from MASQed to Win98 direct connect.

Thanks,
Bob


David Jonas wrote:
> 
> ok. First off, RH6.1 uses 2.2.12 kernel. RH5.2 used a 2.0.x kernel i
> believe, so i was using ipfwadm. Converted my ruleset to IPChains. The
> always defrag problem i think only was a problem if your MTU for the
> interface was less than 1500. I played around with the MTU and couldn't get
> any different results.
> 
> Setting the DNS on the windows machine: In the tcp properties for the
> interface on the win machine,on the DNS configuration tab I enabled DNS and
> put the ISP's DNS in the DNS search order field. I left the IP of the
> machine as a private network ip (192.168.1.2). This works, but you shouldn't
> have to do it. When i was using the 2.0.? kernel and ipfwadm I didn't need
> to do it. I used the masqing machine as the DNS. No special bind
> configuration or anything. Nobody seems to know why this doesn't work. I
> talked on IRC for hours and my only conclusion after that is the routing
> table, because i'm not 100% sure on how i have it set up.
> 
> I have a linux guru friend who i'm trying to get a hold of. I think i'll see
> him monday and get this whole thing sorted out. I'll let you know what he
> says. For now try the DNS thing, its working for me right now.
> 
> Let me know if you find anything
> 
> Thanks!
> 
> --David

_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES 
UNSUBSCRIBING!
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.

Reply via email to