/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */


Hi,

I've been running a masq'd network at home for years, and last week had
an ADSL modem installed :(.  This uses PPTP to tunnel through the ADSL
provider to the ISP (Don't ask - it's France Telecom).  The ADSL service
is in the "ADSL hell" phase.  

The problem is that masq sort of works.  When I tried just connecting
through as I used to, everything was really slow.  When I switched the
config to use squid on the masq box, everything sped up tremendously
(yes, not just for the second visit to a page but the first!).  Now I
have good web access, via the proxy, good email access (using fetchmail
on the masq machione) and terrible newsgroup access, which is not via
the proxy.

What happens is that the windows (or linux) client machine can connect,
but after about 3-4k of transfer, the whole thing stops.  I can wait
forever after that but it doesn't work.  I don't want to have to load
the newsgroups to my masq machine, because it will eat diskspace and I
have a slow-but-semipermanent link to the net.  

My guess is that this is an MTU/fragmentation problem, so I went to
check the Always Defragment option that used to be in the kernel, and it
has disappeared!  Does anyone know what happens or what this problem
could be?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Regards,

-- 

Paul

Web:   http://paulbristow.net
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ICQ:   #11965223

_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES 
UNSUBSCRIBING!
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.

Reply via email to