/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */
James (Jim) Hatridge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> First, I've read all that I've been able to find on networks. And
> most is just not understandable.
That's unfortunate. We're here to help, but without an idea of what it
is you don't understand, I'm at a loss as to what I should explain.
> I'm running SuSE 5.2 using kernal 2.0.33. I know that it's a bit old
> but right at the moment I don't have any way (ie money) to upgrade.
Free OS's are so expensive these days. :)
> CW ---(Ethernet) ---> Opus ---(dialup ppp) ---> Internet
>
> The problem is that I want to get to the 'net from CW, but nothing
> works. I've tried to setup Masquerading but whenever I configure it I
> end up cutting CW off from Opus.
You didn't say exactly what you tried to do. I can't see why setting up
masq would cut off communications. You're setting up masq on "Opus",
right? Since that's the gateway box, that's where you would set up the
masquerade system.
> Could someone take pity on this poor network newbie and explain in
> short simple words what to do to get CW on the net?
Since most of us consider the HOWTO's to be "short simple words on what
to do", again, we are at a loss to explain what is wrong with your
setup. Instead, you should try telling us what it is you tried, and
what happened when you tried to test things, and what results you saw at
each step. Then it will be a bit easier to figure out what the problem
is.
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fuzzy Fox) || "Good judgment comes from experience.
sometimes known as David DeSimone || Experience comes from bad judgment."
http://www.dallas.net/~fox/ || -- Life Lessons
_______________________________________________
Masq maillist - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES
UNSUBSCRIBING!
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.