/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */


>>Mark Scandariato <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm having the problem, apparently caused by the MTU not being 1500,
>>> reported so often:  WWW access occasionally stalls.
>>> 
>>> However, my DSL provider is using PPP over ethernet (PPPoE) which
>>> requires an MTU of 1492.
>>> 
>>> The interface to the DSL modem (eth0) has an MTU of 1500, but the
>>> PPPoE interface (ppp0) has an MTU of 1492.
>>
>>I've seen this problem posted several times, but since I have no test
>>environment similar to this, I can't try different things.
>>
>>The best idea I can think of (short of actually finding the nature of
>>the MTU problem and fixing it) is to reduce the MTU of all your internal
>>network interfaces, to match the PPPoE MTU size.
>
>A much simpler solution is to increase the MTU of the PPP connection to
1500
>(or whatever your internal network MTU is). When I was running a modem
>connection, this had the added benefit of increasing my modem throughput
>aswell.
>
>Being a network server engineer I have seen this kind of bug in many
>products that are doing any kind of protocol conversion with packet sizes
>differing between inbound and outbound data.  It is common to forget to
take
>into account that inbound data may have to be broken into smaller packets
on
>the outbound side. In the case of NAT conversions, I can imagine this to be
>a sticky problem keeping things like sequence numbers correct...
>
>--
>Carl

Oops, should have read more closely. Didn't catch the DSL was requiring
1500. Still, I wonder if you couldn't force the DSL MTU to 1500 without
causing a problem. I know it worked with PPP over dialup with no problem.
Unfortunatly my DSL is using straight TCP/IP with no PPP so I can't offer
much either.

Going to get more coffee now, obviously the eyes aren't open enough yet.
--
Carl

_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES 
UNSUBSCRIBING!
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.

Reply via email to