/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */


Jesper Jensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> The reason for this, is that I have an examn tomorrow, in Linux, with
> IP Masquerading as my selection of speciality (don't know what it's
> called, but I hope you get the idea).

I have been busy lately; I'm sorry that I couldn't help you cheat on
your test.  ;)

> How many users is it possible to get through a IP Masq.  machine.  I
> mean, can there be 10, 20, 100 howmany, users using the IP Masq. 
> machine to get out on the internet?  I guess it depends on how fast
> the computer is, so some examples would be great.

Well, since the masq box filters packets at an IP level, it has no
concept of "users".  At most, it has the concept of "connections" that
are being masqueraded, of which it can handle 4096, maximum, in the
default configuration.

If one user opens 4096 connections, then no one else can get work done,
and the masq box is supporting "one user" maximum.  If the users are all
using web browsers, which tend to open connections and close them
quickly, you could perhaps have 5000 or 10000 users served behind the
masq box, as long as together, they don't attempt to open more than 4096
connections *simultaneously*.

> Isn't IP Masq somewhat like a Firewall?

In some sense, it is, because you have a "private" net, and a "public"
net.  The private net can't be reached by the public net, without a
masquerade connection active.  So it is a form of "implicit" firewall.

-- 
   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fuzzy Fox)     || "Good judgment comes from experience.
sometimes known as David DeSimone  ||  Experience comes from bad judgment."
  http://www.dallas.net/~fox/      ||                 -- Life Lessons

_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES 
UNSUBSCRIBING!
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.

Reply via email to