/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */


[EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> Hope it doesn't sound rude, but this is just getting rather
> frustrating -- every reply I get (and I've had a few now) says "oh
> yeah, it's simple, it'll work just fine"

Note, I didn't say it was simple, or that it'll work.  I'm just saying
that, without some sort of routing modification, it can't work.  :)

> If I set up a route (using std routing, not iproute2) to that external
> IP address via the ip-aliased ip address (such as 204.132.199.1) or by
> specifiying the dev ethX:Y, instead of just using the default route
> that goes out the .100 address, the packets STILL come from .100.

It seems that, those who actually experiment and try things out in the
real world, know more than those who simply spout theory, such as
myself.  :)

You are forging into areas where I, due to my limited network
configuration, cannot test.  So I can only assume that you are doing
things correctly, and that the masq code really doesn't work the way
you or I wish it did.

> So am I the only one in the MASQ community that wants outbound packets
> to get stamped as coming from a aliased interface instaead of the
> "real" interface?

Obviously not, since this question seems to come up every couple of
weeks or so.  However, it may well be that none of the masq DEVELOPERS
has ever seen such a need, and so the code simply hasn't been written to
fulfill such a need.

> I would have guessed that EVERYONE using MASQ as part of their
> firewall structure would want to do this.....  Guess I'd be wrong, eh?

Just how many people do you think there are with multiple IP addresses
assigned to their system?  And of those, how many use Linux as their
firewall/routers?  Damn few, I'd imagine...

-- 
   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fuzzy Fox)     || "Good judgment comes from experience.
sometimes known as David DeSimone  ||  Experience comes from bad judgment."
  http://www.dallas.net/~fox/      ||                 -- Life Lessons

_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES 
UNSUBSCRIBING!
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.

Reply via email to