/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */



Hi folks,

I've got a strange predicament here.  We're running RedHat 6.0 with IP 
masquerading to our local network.

When internal machines try access their pop-3 server things seem to work 
alright.

But when we try to send smtp mail things get strange.  When trying to 
send mail with netscapes mail client it says that the mail server respons 
with the message "Relaying Denied"
When trying to send with the outlook mail client it gives us the error: 
"no transport provider was available".

All along on the masq'ing machine I realized that there were bunches of 
AUTH (port 113) packets being rejected.  THey were coming from the smtp 
server that we were attempting to send through.

I changed our firewall rulesets to allow auth to go through.  Then I 
realized that in.identd which is hte auth daemon was not installed.  I 
installed it but problems persisted.

Now in the logs we get: 

identd[642]: Connection from garnet.sover.net
identd[642]: from: <ip address here> for: 61046, 25
identd[643]: Returned: 61046 , 25 : NO-USER

We also get similar logs dealing with pop-3 (port 110).

Our IP masquerading table looks like so:

ipchains -M -L
IP Masquerading Entries
prot expire     source          destination             ports
TCP  00:08.50   10.10.1.247     garnet.sover.net        1118 (61048) -> smtp


We continue to get the same error messages from our email clients when 
trying to send messages.

It seems to me that IP masquerading is functioning ok but then the mail 
servers (mail.sover.net) are attempting to send back auth packets but the 
port they are being sent on doesn't work well with the masquerading.  The 
linux ip masqing machine doesn't know to remap the packets back to the 
client machine.  I'm unsure how to get it to do this.

If you have any ideas on this matter I'd greatly appreciate your 
assistance.  Thank you very much for your time.

Sincerely,
Josh Estelle


_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/

Reply via email to