/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */ After seeing todays mail list posts, I see that I am not alone with a RH 6.0 MASQ server not performing anywhere near expectations. I won't quote anything from today masq posts. (further details) Here is my current situation I have built my first Linux (RH6) Server. I haven't worked with Unix in almost 15 years. This has been a real learning experience. I need help with masquerading performance tuning. I have my server on a cable modem on eth0 and a 100M LAN on eth1. I have the email and brousing working, but downloads a incredibly slow (less than 1K/sec.) and some web sites take forever to load (if not at all) while others pop right up. I also get monster email messages from home.com which time out when checking for new mail (I know I can unsubscribe from this, but I need to be able to get this type of email through my Linux MASQ server; so for now I log onto a direct Win95 PC and dump the @home junk). Anyway, my downloads seems to stall for long periods of time. I'll spare you the details (other than I am on a Compaq Proliant 2500 (Pentium Pro 200) w/ 96M RAM and eth0 is on the integrated Compaq 10/100 NIC. I am composing this on a Win95 PC through the masq. so it is working, but performance is poor compared to connecting a Win95 PC direct to the same cablemodem. Any ideas? David Ranch did sent me this info (thanks David): > > This is both the nature of cablemodems and the Internet. > > Be sure you have your MTU set to 1500, set the RWIN to at least > > 8192, and setup a continious ping every 20 seconds to your default > > gateway. This keeps your cablemodem in the highest priority group. Now I have since found all of these parameters, the one in ipup with David's help, and corrected them, but I still have these stalls. Here is some info I got from a local LUG members site (and my inquiry): > >From section 10 of your How to Setup an @Home Connection With a Firewall >(www.rimboy.com/firewall). > > > Also note: The stock 2.2.x kernel shipped with RH6.0 and other distributions needs >to be upgraded. The bug fix is directly related to > > having a system on the net, so it is imperative that the upgrade be applied before >placing your system on the net. You have been > > warned. Check your favorite distribution site for details. > > Please give me the details of what in RH6.0 needs to be upgraded. (This > is not obvious at www.redhat.com, and GnoRPM doesn't point to the > current files on the Redhat update ftp site). Thanks, Mark Mott PS. A friend suggested I try building a new MASQ server on an older 166Mhz Pentium clone, and see if there is a issue with the EISA in the Proliant 2500, even though it (and its integrated NIC) is on the RH approved hardware list. As for speed. my friend has his on a Pentium 90 with 2 NICs and he says he's getting up to 400Kbps ftp transfers on his private network PCs. _______________________________________________ Masq maillist - [EMAIL PROTECTED] Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting. You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
