/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */
I am a little bit confused:
You said, "I can't access anything beyond the card". Huuh! Which one?
Then, "I can access an outside host with both cards" Both cards? Well, you
should have any problem accessing the Internet if your routing table is
properly set up.
1.) If indeed one card is working and the other is not, you have a defective
3Com NIC (rare) provided that everything else is ok.
2.) If both cards are not working (Either ping or telnet doe not succeed on
both NICs) then you need recompile your kernel in order to generate new
modules. After compiling and installing the new kernel, do:
# mv /lib/modules/`uname -r` /lib/modules/`uname -r`.old ( rename your
current module directory to whatever.old)
# make modules ; make modules_install (provided that 3com NICs are specified
as modules)
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> Sent: Thursday, July 15, 1999 11:29 AM
> To: Audie Pierre
> Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: RE: [Masq] Ahhhh!!! Two Cards, Both working, yet only one
> workin g... paradox
>
>
>
> On Thu, 15 Jul 1999, Audie Pierre wrote:
>
> > I am currently using 3c905b (Cyclone) NICs and they work fine with both
> the
> > old and the new kernels. The problem that I encountered with the old
> kernel
> > when the 3c905bs came out was that the module needed to be updated. The
> > card's module (3c59x.o) loaded properly yet I could not access anything
> > beyond the card itself. I downloaded, compiled and installed the new
> module
> > and everything worked beautifully.
>
> This seems to be the problem I am having with the new kernel. I can't
> access anything beyond the card.
>
> > The new kernel however comes ready for the 3c905b. What I think you need
> to
> > do is carefully troubleshoot your problem.
>
> Any ideas of how to carefully troubleshoot my problem? The only
> additional discovery I have made as of late has been that when trying to
> ping the router the card continually sends out ARP requests... as in..
> who has this IP address type of requests. I discovered this with a
> TCPDUMP.
>
> > Also, it is always a good idea to
> > recompile your kernel after an upgrade specially from 2.0.36 to 2.2.5.
> > I don't know if you noticed but the upgrade from 5.2 to 6.0
> automatically
> > replaces "IPFWADM" with "IPCHAINS" whereas a simple kernel upgrade does
> not.
> > I am just hoping that you acted wisely by modifying your firewall
> script.
>
> I'm not sure about that... so far that's not even my concern because I
> can't get the NIC to contact an ouside device.
>
> > Finally, if you can access another host from both NICs (which you should
> > definitely test), the NICs are no longer under suspicion.
>
> Yes I can access an outside host with both cards... but only the outside
> hosts on our LAN not the router which connects us to the internet. So by
> this can I assume the cards are working and the driver is not at fault?
> or can I?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Josh EStelle
_______________________________________________
Masq maillist - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/