/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */



Erwin Rommel G. Espinosa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> /* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */

I bet Erwin didn't really write that in his message...

> I just want to ask if is it possible to setup a mailserver on a linux
> ip masquerading gateway that also has a separate domain not like the
> domain name of the isp that it is connected???

That's what I do on my machine.  Somehow I suspect that my ISP isn't
even aware that I'm doing it.  :)

> do i have to add another lan card that will hold the public ip?

If your IP traffic is coming in from the Internet, you'll have to assign
the IP to the interface on which it comes in, like ppp0.

Basically you need your ISP to assign you a static IP address which you
can tell all the DNS servers to report.  A dynamic IP really won't work
well at all for this situation, unless you want to have a lot of fun
with dynamic DNS (here fun == work unless you're a hacker).

You see, your ISP needs to get involved because they will be the ones
routing traffic to your IP address.  If they assign you the IP, then of
course the traffic will route; but if you come up with the address on
your own, you still have to somehow get your ISP to route the traffic
towards you in order to reach that address.

-- 
   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fuzzy Fox)      || "Nothing takes the taste out of peanut
sometimes known as David DeSimone  ||  butter quite like unrequited love."
  http://www.dallas.net/~fox/      ||                       -- Charlie Brown


_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/

Reply via email to