Barry Treahy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> Don't cring, but I'm using ipfw not ipchains and there is not
> filtering occuring at this time, only masqing...
I was just asking if you add/replace rules on the fly, for some reason.
Sounds like you do not.
> From the box, I can ping IP's on my LAN, going out eth1, but I can't
> reach anything that would be masq'd going out eth0 when the system
> fails!
The masq box can't send anything out its own interface, directly?
Ethernet card failure? Does "arp -an" show the mac address of your DSL
modem? Does ifconfig down/up on eth0 reset the card and make it work
again?
> > > The ISP states they can ping my interface.
That's odd, considering that your ethernet card appears to not be
working. Can you log the packets using input rules, and show that you
see the pings coming in your eth0, and the replies going out?
Maybe they are pinging the "other" side of your point-to-point link.
That only proves that things are working, up to the other side of the
DSL.
> Well, I'm on a SW distribution and it doesn't use the new C
> libraries... The last time I attempted to upgrade to it, what is it
> called GLIB2?, I choked my entire system...
I'm on a 2.2 kernel with Slackware, using the old libc5 libraries. I
still haven't made the jump to glibc. It's still not required... yet. :)
> I know simple kernel reconfigs and builds go fast, but if I've got to
> jump to 2.2.x, well, I'm not that good to do everything in an hour.
You're right, there. It may be that it's flaky hardware, or a driver
problem. Just spouting ideas, really.
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fuzzy Fox) || "Nothing takes the taste out of peanut
sometimes known as David DeSimone || butter quite like unrequited love."
http://www.dallas.net/~fox/ || -- Charlie Brown
_______________________________________________
Masq maillist - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://tiffany.indyramp.com/mailman/listinfo/masq
Admin requests can be handled by web (above) or [EMAIL PROTECTED]