Thomas Ruth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> Can someone help me with rlogin?

Maybe, if you keep bugging me about it.  :)

> How do I configure the masquerading firewall to let rlogin use ports
> under 1024?

Well, see, that's the problem, you can't.  The way masq is designed, all
masqueraded connections will be in the masq port range, somewhere
between 60000-65535.  That's nowhere near the required 0-1024 range that
rlogin/rsh require.  So I'm afraid it won't be possible using masq.

However, I had an idea recently to use the transparent-proxy feature of
the Linux kernel to trap outgoing rlogin/rsh requests, and proxy them to
the intended machine.  It would work because the proxy could preserve
the desired port range.  But I'm not sure if I know what I'm doing,
because I don't have a spec for the protocol used.

I got about halfway through building the proxy code, then my need for
such a utility disappeared.  I suspect I'll have a need for it again in
a few months, but for now, development has stalled for a bit.

-- 
   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fuzzy Fox)      || "Nothing takes the taste out of peanut
sometimes known as David DeSimone  ||  butter quite like unrequited love."
  http://www.dallas.net/~fox/      ||                       -- Charlie Brown


_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://tiffany.indyramp.com/mailman/listinfo/masq
Admin requests can be handled by web (above) or [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to