Curtis Stanford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> When I do a ping on the client box, I can see the tx/rx lights
> flashing on the ADSL modem at regular ping intervals but the response
> never makes it back to the client.

It "never" makes it back?  Your subject says "intermittent connections,"
so does it never work, or does it sometimes work, sometimes not?  When
it does work, what's different from when it doesn't?

> The DNS lookup works but no ping responses are received.

Is your kernel compiled with the option to masquerade ICMP?  You'll
never see a ping response unless this is so.

> The MTU on all interfaces (both on the masq box and the one on the
> client box) are set to 1500.

Then you are not seeing the MTU problem.

> When I do an ftp, I get to the login, type "anonymous" and it never
> returns to ask for a password.

Use "ftp -d -v" to show verbose information.  See where the protocol
breaks down.

Can you just "telnet" to a site?  Does it work, or not?

> Can the ADSL modem have its own MTU? I don't know how to get at it.

I don't know, but I doubt it.  You communicate with the DSL modem via
ethernet, and the MTU for ethernet is 1500.

-- 
   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fuzzy Fox)      || "Nothing takes the taste out of peanut
sometimes known as David DeSimone  ||  butter quite like unrequited love."
  http://www.dallas.net/~fox/      ||                       -- Charlie Brown


_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://tiffany.indyramp.com/mailman/listinfo/masq
Admin requests can be handled by web (above) or [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to