David A. Ranch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> 1) Make sure your COMM port on the Linux box is running at 115200
> or better:
You should probably remove this section, as I find that it has little
bearing on the problem.
>From mail that I've read on Linux-Kernel, it is wrong to suspect that
the modem link is causing data corruption. The reason is that PPP
implements checksumming on the packets, above and beyond what TCP uses.
So, in order to see these messages, the packets must have *correct* PPP
checksums, but *incorrect* TCP checksums. If the packets were corrupted
by your serial link, it is extraordinarily unlikely that you would see
them pass the PPP checksum, and so the TCP stack would never see them
(or report them).
> 3) The usual, but unfortunate, fix for the "failed checksum"
> error is to disable VJ-header compression.
I have disabled VJ compression in my PPP, and I still see these all too
frequently. Usually several a day.
> Announcing IRQTUNE. A Linux x86 IRQ Priority Optimizer.
This comes back to suspecting the serial link as the data corruption
source. I believe (and so do many on the Linux-Kernel list) that the
corruption comes from much further away; or perhaps in the kernel
itself, though no one has been able to prove that. (Though I have seen
corrupted packets coming from one of my LAN hosts to another LAN host on
the same segment! Eep!)
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fuzzy Fox) || "Nothing takes the taste out of peanut
sometimes known as David DeSimone || butter quite like unrequited love."
http://www.dallas.net/~fox/ || -- Charlie Brown
_______________________________________________
Masq maillist - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://tiffany.indyramp.com/mailman/listinfo/masq
Admin requests can be handled by web (above) or [EMAIL PROTECTED]