>They are using a COM21 ComPORT 2000 (see:
>http://www.com21.com/products/ss02c.html for detailed product info).
>
>What kind of "split driver" is needed? Do these drivers typically work with
>Linux's masquerading?
No.. the driver wouldn't be for MASQ but for Linux itself. But, since
this is an EXTERNAL ethernet-attached device (I was assuming you were going
to have an internal cablemodem), you won't need a driver for your cablemodem.
All you WILL need is a driver to support your Ethernet card in your Linux
box.
But, the next issue is, you need to find out what is the status of
"asymetrical routing" is for Linux and how to set it up. Basically,
asymetrical routing allows you you to configure Linux to *RECEIVE*
traffic via the Ethernet port but *SEND* traffic via the modem
connection.
To be honest, I don't know how to do this but I think I know someone
who does. Frank wrote a Linux driver for a General Instruments SI1000
internal cablemodem which, I beleive, was also a cable down / modem up
system. Check out his WWW page at:
http://www.jacksonville.net/~fventuri
or
http://home.adelphia.net/~siglercm/sb1000.html
Send him email mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] asking what he knows about
getting something like this running but for your Ethernet-based
cablemodem (tell him I send you). Once you find something out, one way
or another, please let the MASQ users know what you find out.
--David
.----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| David A. Ranch - Linux/Networking/PC hardware [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
!---- ----!
`----- For more detailed info, see http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~dranch -----'
_______________________________________________
Masq maillist - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://tiffany.indyramp.com/mailman/listinfo/masq
Admin requests can be handled by web (above) or [EMAIL PROTECTED]