>    I have Samba version 1.9.18 installed on linux, and inside the subnet all
>machines use the linux box as the WINS server. Outside there is another WINS
>server, which I cannot use inside the subnet due to masquerading. 

What patch rev?  Current is 1.9.18p10-5

Also, though the Linux box is a MASQ server, all machines should
be able to use it as a WINS server.


>That's why I set the WINS PROXY option to yes, but nothing has changed.

Hmmm.. that was my second idea.  What does a higher debug level of
Samba say?


>    If the WINS works, it takes such a long time to browse some of the
>workgroups of the network on a Windows machine (about 45 seconds). 

I bet all the windows machines are broadcasting out and NOT using
the WINS server.  This is probably a HUGE broadcast storms for
120 some odd machines.


>    If you have a configuration file (smb.conf) of a similar case, I think it
>could help me out. I have read all the relevant documentation (about WINS),
>but none of them dealt with ip masquerading. 

MASQ isn't going to be that different of a senario.  Personally, I'd
recommend to configure the Linux box as the master WINS server.

--David
.----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
|  David A. Ranch - Linux/Networking/PC hardware         [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |
!----                                                                    ----!
`----- For more detailed info, see http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~dranch -----'


_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://tiffany.indyramp.com/mailman/listinfo/masq
Admin requests can be handled by web (above) or [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to