On Tuesday, 21 July 2026 22:53:59 CEST Lars Bjørndal wrote:
> Thanks a lot for your input!
> 
> You wrote:
> 
> 
> > Lars Bjørndal writes:
> > 
> > 
> >  > https://lamasti.net/filer/shutdown.log.gz
> > 
> > 
> > You've got some kind of logging problem with writing to the persistent
> > storage for the log, whatever that is (defaults to several files in
> > $var/dir/logs, but can be configured very flexibly using the stdlib
> > logging module).
> 
> 
> I've installed mailman3 following the guide at
> https://docs.mailman3.org/en/latest/install/virtualenv.html. So Mailma's
> log files is in /opt/mailman3/mm/var/log. But the log I've provided, is, as
> you say, from systemd/journalctl.
 
> 
> > A bunch of Mailman processes are raising exceptions
> > when trying to log that they're shutting down.  This could result in a
> > deadlock, which is why systemd terminates the processes with SIGABRT.
> > 
> > There's also a message about reentrancy (I think only one per process,
> > but Mailman 3 spawns lots of processes).  It might be a bug in logging
> > (not Mailman code) but I think that's some exception handler that's
> > trying to log the logging exception.  If so, it's not the root problem
> > and should not recur if you fix the basic problem.
> > 
> > 1.  What, if anything, is in Mailman's own logs?  This appears to be
> > 
> >     systemd's log from journalctl.
> 
> 
> In /opt/mailman3/mm/var/logs/error.log I have:
> 
> ```
> [2026-07-20 08:57:39 +0200] [2594] [INFO] Handling signal: int
> [2026-07-20 08:57:41 +0200] [2594] [ERROR] Worker (pid:2596) was sent code
> 131!
> [2026-07-20 08:57:42 +0200] [2594] [INFO] Shutting down: Master
> [2026-07-20 09:02:00 +0200] [2510] [INFO] Starting gunicorn 23.0.0
> [2026-07-20 09:02:00 +0200] [2510] [INFO] Listening at:
> http://127.0.0.1:8000 (2510)
> [2026-07-20 09:02:00 +0200] [2510] [INFO]
> Using worker: sync
> [2026-07-20 09:02:00 +0200] [2538] [INFO] Booting worker with pid: 2538
> ```
> 
> 
> > 2.  Do you have any settings for logging in mailman.cfg?
> 
> 
> No, nothing.
> 
> 
> > 3.  If your logging handler is a file-based handler, maybe the log
> > 
> >     partition is full.
> 
> 
> Both /opt and /var is on the same file system with lot of space.
> 
> 
> > 4.  Maybe there is some security restriction (selinux?) on the logging
> > 
> >     channel, whatever it is.  Or a permissions restriction on the file
> >     system so Mailman can't write.
> 
> 
> I don't think so, because Mailman writes to it's logs in
> /opt/mailman3/mm/var/log. I don't use selinux.
 
> 
> > I also noticed that PostgreSQL gets shut down, but there's no log that
> > it gets restarted.  I think Mailman should then shutdown with an error
> > that it can't talk to the database, but maybe it retries a few times.
> 
> 
> 
> >From the log I can see that PostgeSQL is started before mailman tries to
> >start.
> 
> Lars

Just two ideas:

Are you sure your mailman *.service files are correct. Especially with respect 
to ordering startup and shutdown (After= and things like that)? Does it 
contain your database service and network?

Are you sure your filesystem(s) with /opt and /var is/are still mounted when 
this happens? Don't know how you could check that. But they are local 
filesystems, no network involved?

Andreas


_______________________________________________
Mailman-users mailing list -- [email protected]
To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]
https://lists.mailman3.org/mailman3/lists/mailman-users.mailman3.org/
Archived at: 
https://lists.mailman3.org/archives/list/[email protected]/message/7VW4WMGFT4S4BERSVHGXD7OTZUWOSWPM/

This message sent to [email protected]

Reply via email to