Paul Tomblin via Mailman-users writes:

 > I back up my server using "borg" to send it to a different
 > server. I keep 7 dailies, 4 weeklies and 6 monthlies. When I used
 > Mailman 2, my borg backup size stabilized and never seemed to grow
 > much. But since switching to Mailman 3, my backup size has been
 > growing, seemingly without bounds,

Do your lists enable archives?  If so and you're using HyperKitty, the
archives are also stored in Postgres.  Depending on whether you backed
up archives in Mailman 2 and whether that was conceptually part of
your Mailman backup (vs your website backup, for example), that could
explain some of a size difference, though I don't see offhand how it
would explain consistent growth since conceptually mail archives are
append only.

How long have you been using this system with Mailman 3?  I can't
imagine that it's going to grow without bound for very long (but if
you have been observing Mailman 3 for 6 months and it's still growing
linearly I'd revise that guess).  The question in my mind for now is
how big might it get.

 > even though the amount of disk space I'm using on the Mailman
 > server isn't growing much.

I suspect that because Mailman 3 is storing things in tables that can
cut across lists, many of them with small records (indexes and
relations), the segments that borg detects and deduplicates are going
to be smaller than Mailman 2.  So borg's deduplication algorithm just
isn't going to work well no matter what you do.  I think you will find
the size of the incremental backups will stabilize but substantially
larger than the Mailman 2 backups.  Also, Mailman 3 does keep more
data (the User and Address databases) than Mailman 2 did.

 > Should I exclude postgreSQL from the backup and do a separate
 > pg_dumpall?

I would expect that to result in a larger backup than you're seeing
now, even with compression.

-- 
GNU Mailman consultant (installation, migration, customization)
Sirius Open Source    https://www.siriusopensource.com/
Software systems consulting in Europe, North America, and Japan
_______________________________________________
Mailman-users mailing list -- [email protected]
To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]
https://lists.mailman3.org/mailman3/lists/mailman-users.mailman3.org/
Archived at: 
https://lists.mailman3.org/archives/list/[email protected]/message/YNRLWHRZIAORPS5DP2S64XN7RYT2Q55R/

This message sent to [email protected]

Reply via email to