On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 2:08 PM, brown wrap <[email protected]> wrote: > The first time I tried to modify the old grub.conf, I just add the lines > created by the new grub.cfg, must made them adhere to the format used in > grub.conf. That attempted boot, resulted in no such partition. > > So I changed the grub.conf to: > > title GNU/Linux, with Linux 2.6.32.7-lfs-6.6-rc1 > root (hd2,1) > kernel /vmlinux-2.6.32.7-lfs-6.6-rc1 root=/dev/sdc2 > > That just brought up an empty menu with no selection at all.
Did you read this in the book: GRUB uses its own naming structure for drives and partitions in the form of (hdn,m), where n is the hard drive number and m is the partition number, both starting from zero. For example, partition hda1 is (hd0,0) to GRUB and hdb3 is (hd1,2). In contrast to Linux, GRUB does not consider CD-ROM drives to be hard drives. For example, if using a CD on hdb and a second hard drive on hdc, that second hard drive would still be (hd1). -- http://linuxfromscratch.org/mailman/listinfo/lfs-support FAQ: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/faq.html Unsubscribe: See the above information page
