Antje and other potential virtual teachers,
I like to keep the virtual classes very small, 4-6 depending on their level
of lacemaking skills.  You can have the students send photos or have them
scare their screen. Then you can annotate but that all takes extra time.  I
teach on Zoom and use "spotlight" to watch each student in turn, like
walking around the classroom. For the beginners, I have them use bright
colored threads, so I can say "the red pair, etc."  which helps a lot.   If
the threads are all the same color, it is pretty much as you say "take the
second pair on the left and pull very slightly to the left... no, not so
strong... a bit further up!!..."  It is a bit crazy.  Having good, clear
diagrams helps a lot, and demonstrating with large threads and pins also
helps.   Virtual teaching is different from in-person teaching but a lot
better than no teaching at all as far as I am concerned.  I practice by
logging into a second device from a different email account so I can see
what the students see.  In Zoom I have bought a subscription so I can stay
on for more than 40 minutes at a time. Some lace guilds here have invested
in that, so their members can use the account for teaching.  Since we are
all interested in promoting lacemaking, we need to adapt.  The virtual
classroom is especially good for introducing younger students to lace.


-Karen on the Atlantic coast in Delaware, USA.


>
>
>
>

-
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]. Photo site:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacemaker/sets/

Reply via email to