The archaeologist in me says that if the bobbins have a distinctive look, to 
the point that you could look at one and identify it as coming from that 
particular region, it’s a “regional type”. However, based on what I’ve 
understood from your post, unless the lace is equally distinctive, I don’t know 
that I’d classify the *lace* as a separate type. In archaeology we do this all 
the time; spindles can be classified by type, but spindle type doesn’t 
necessarily map directly to the yarn types spun with those spindles, or with 
the cloth woven from those yarns. 

Katrina 
[email protected]
-- 
History: special people in special places at special times
Anthropology: everyone else the rest of the time.
              

> On Jul 14, 2020, at 10:38 PM, Brian Lemin <[email protected]> wrote:
> <snipped>
> 
> Today i have been cogitating as to whether or not Waddesdon is a geographical 
> lace area that used a special bobbin.
> <more snipping>

-
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]. Photo site:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacemaker/sets/

Reply via email to