Thank you Jeri

I have enjoyed reading about the Constance Howard mural and well remember the 
days of 'make do and mend' as a child.  I recall when as children we had worn 
holes in the elbows of our woollies, that my mother would pull a thread from 
the elbow area, unravel the lower portion from elbow to cuff, pick up the 
stitches and re-knit the sleeves from elbow to cuff, giving our woollens new 
life!  Clothes were rationed and we had clothing coupons as well as Ration 
Books for food supplies!

Many years later of course, I taught needlelace to the students at the RSN when 
it was still at Prince's Gate, travelling up to London one day a week for six 
weeks.  I also recall some years earlier, when Nenia Lovesey used to teach 
there, demonstrating bobbin lace at Prince's gate.  A gentleman came and stood 
in front of me and stood for some considerable time watching me work on my 
pillow.  He didn't comment at all but was clearly intrigued by the process, so 
I asked him if he had seen bobbin lace being made before?  He replied that he 
hadn't, but volunteered the he was a telephone engineer and could clearly 
follow the paths that the threads were travelling!

Catherine Barley
UK

Catherine Barley Needlelace
www.catherinebarley.com

----Original message----
>From : [email protected]
Date : 01/06/2018 - 17:00 (GMTDT)
To : [email protected]
Subject : [lace] The Country Wife by Constance Howard, Comments 2 and 3

Are any of you in the U.K. interested in further comments about Constance
Howard's mural?  If there is no response I will stop sharing Ann Bernard's
postings.  Her second posting is at: 
http://annbernard.com/2018/05/29/the-country-wife-mural-2/ 
 
Ann was a student at the Royal School of Needlework about 60 years ago, and
now lives in Canada. She is seeking input about lives of women in the
post-WWII period. Perhaps someone has comments about the Lacemaker in the
lower right corner for her?
 
Back then, many of us made nearly all our clothes. 

-
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]. Photo site:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacemaker/sets/

Reply via email to