Hi Arachnids

I started learning lace before diagrams were used in England and learned how
to read a pricking and understand when to add pairs into clothwork and leave
them out. I have never been able to get used to using diagrams.

When I started making Mechlin five years ago using Rita Thienpondts excellent
syllabus it took me a while to make the ground without pins and I had great
difficulties disciplining myself to follow even the first diagram. Then, once
I had mastered the different techniques, the light suddenly switched on and I
realised I knew what to do.  my experience from making floral Bucks point
suddenly kicked in. It took a little longer for me to get to grips with the
ring pair and, even though I know where I should use use them, I still forget
to use half stitches along them. I am now comfortable making Mechlin using
just the pricking and a picture of the lace, making prickings from antique
lace and designing my own.

With an understanding of the Binche fillings used for a particular design it
is also possible to make the lace without a diagram. After all, lacemakers
were doing this before diagrams were invented and there are those today who
are producing some beautiful new designs. I hope they are passing on the
required skills to their students.

Diagrams have their place when learning, especially for those who do not have
the benefit of a teacher. It is also useful to enlarge a pattern and plan out
how you will make the lace by drawing in the pairs. This is not just following
someone elses workings, this is working out how you could make it and
hopefully avoid problems when you are making it. Pattern repeats will not be
made exactly the same although they will look the same, each one is a new
puzzle and so the lace never gets boring.

Have fun

alex

-
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]. Photo site:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacemaker/sets/

Reply via email to