kotman12 opened a new pull request, #4974:
URL: https://github.com/apache/solr/pull/4974

   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-18480
   
   # AI Usage
   
   I used Opus 5/5.5 to iterate on a solution for this. There were probably 
tens if not hundreds of refinements. 
   
   # Description
   
   During leader election a new leader will try to tear down its index fetcher. 
If the old leader process has stalled, this tear-down can take the minimum of 
graceful executor timeout and socket timeout (in our configuration it stalls 
for 60s). Since there is no point in gracefully shutting down an index fetch 
request that gets discarded anyway I propose we tear it down eagerly without 
waiting. We have observed this issue in the wild and were lucky enough to 
reproduce it here.
   
   # Solution
   
   Equip the `HttpJettySolrClient` with an eager `abort` that doesn't wait. I 
only implemented it for the jetty client as it appears to be the only client 
with robust request tracking support (and the only client currently relevant to 
`IndexFetcher`). I create a thin client for each individual fetch so as to 
isolate what gets aborted. I also added an opt-in for tracking synchronous 
requests since IndexFetcher primarily uses this mode. I see no reason tracking 
of synchronous requests this shouldn't at least be an option. Although it would 
be nice to see if we can simply _always_ track sync requests (i.e. if the 
performance penalty for this is small) but I didn't have time to properly 
benchmark this. Because the consequence is so far-reaching I have left it as an 
opt-in.
   
   # Tests
   
   Mainly in TlogLeaderElectionFrozenLeaderTest
   
   # Checklist
   
   Please review the following and check all that apply:
   
   - [x] I have reviewed the guidelines for [How to 
Contribute](https://github.com/apache/solr/blob/main/CONTRIBUTING.md) and my 
code conforms to the standards described there to the best of my ability.
   - [x] I have created a Jira issue and added the issue ID to my pull request 
title.
   - [x] I have given Solr maintainers 
[access](https://help.github.com/en/articles/allowing-changes-to-a-pull-request-branch-created-from-a-fork)
 to contribute to my PR branch. (optional but recommended, not available for 
branches on forks living under an organisation)
   - [x] I have developed this patch against the `main` branch.
   - [x] I have run `./gradlew check`.
   - [x] I have added tests for my changes.
   - [x] I have added a [changelog 
entry](https://github.com/apache/solr/blob/main/dev-docs/changelog.adoc) for my 
change
   


-- 
This is an automated message from the Apache Git Service.
To respond to the message, please log on to GitHub and use the
URL above to go to the specific comment.

To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]

For queries about this service, please contact Infrastructure at:
[email protected]


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]

Reply via email to