liangkaiwen opened a new pull request, #4935:
URL: https://github.com/apache/solr/pull/4935

   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-18476
   
   <!--
   _(If you are a project committer then you may remove some/all of the 
following template.)_
   
   Before creating a pull request, please file an issue in the ASF Jira system 
for Solr:
   
   * https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SOLR
   
   For something minor (i.e. that wouldn't be worth putting in release notes), 
you can skip JIRA.
   To create a Jira issue, you will need to create an account there first.
   
   The title of the PR should reference the Jira issue number in the form:
   
   * SOLR-####: <short description of problem or changes>
   
   SOLR must be fully capitalized. A short description helps people scanning 
pull requests for items they can work on.
   
   Properly referencing the issue in the title ensures that Jira is correctly 
updated with code review comments and commits. -->
   
   
   # Description
   
   Existing usage of `preload=true` will attempt to load the entire index 
(filesystem) directory into OS page cache indiscriminately. This can be a 
problematic take on a good idea in 2 ways: 1) you may not want to run this long 
synchronous preload over the entire index and 2) you may not have enough 
physical memory to fit the whole index, so having the ability to prioritize 
some index files over others would be more practical/useful.
   
   # Solution
   
   Coded using Claude 5.0 Opus
   
   * Added "preloadExtensions" to MMapDirectoryFactory config definition, which 
allows a comma separate list of file extensions to be provided (does not need 
to be used in conjunction with preload=true)
   * MMapDirectoryFactory's create function uses a preload predicate depending 
on the configuration. Extensions predicate matches files with extension (after 
last .) matching any of the provided in the configuration
   *  When preload=true is provided and preloadExtensions is provided, 
preloadExtensions behavior will take precedence (whole index not preloaded)
   
   # Tests
   
   * Add unit tests for MMapDirectoryFactory
   * Check OS off-heap memory metrics
   
   # Checklist
   
   Please review the following and check all that apply:
   
   - [X] I have reviewed the guidelines for [How to 
Contribute](https://github.com/apache/solr/blob/main/CONTRIBUTING.md) and my 
code conforms to the standards described there to the best of my ability.
   - [X] I have created a Jira issue and added the issue ID to my pull request 
title.
   - [X] I have given Solr maintainers 
[access](https://help.github.com/en/articles/allowing-changes-to-a-pull-request-branch-created-from-a-fork)
 to contribute to my PR branch. (optional but recommended, not available for 
branches on forks living under an organisation)
   - [X] I have developed this patch against the `main` branch.
   - [X] I have run `./gradlew check`.
   - [X] I have added tests for my changes.
   - [X] I have added documentation for the [Reference 
Guide](https://github.com/apache/solr/tree/main/solr/solr-ref-guide)
   - [X] I have added a [changelog 
entry](https://github.com/apache/solr/blob/main/dev-docs/changelog.adoc) for my 
change
   


-- 
This is an automated message from the Apache Git Service.
To respond to the message, please log on to GitHub and use the
URL above to go to the specific comment.

To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]

For queries about this service, please contact Infrastructure at:
[email protected]


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]

Reply via email to