On 30 September 2026 16:13:58 BST, Kamil Tekiela <[email protected]> wrote:
>We are not lying to them right now. They can set longer passwords.


No, they can't. They can *input* longer passwords, but that input is not 
*stored*.

If I encountered a database that truncates names to 10 bytes, I would describe 
it as not correctly handling longer names. Telling users that they can set 
longer names, but never actually storing them, would be lying.



>It will still match. A hash of 72-byte long password and a hash of
>73-byte long password where the first 72 bytes are the same will
>match. https://3v4l.org/o7dJq#v8.5.11


Yes, and that is a false positive - the user provides the wrong password, and 
the system lets them in.


>Because the password is just as strong as it would be if we didn't
>ignore the unnecessary bytes. It would be corrupted if the password
>got weaker or changed in a way that it could no longer be verified
>against its hash.


Of course it gets weaker - it's shorter!


>> Imagine if it truncated at 7 bytes; would you still call that "correct 
>> handling", as long as it was documented behaviour?
>
>Obviously, yes. I don't understand your point.


Then we are stuck. I can't imagine how "most of your password is silently 
thrown away" can be considered "correctly handled". It can be *a known 
limitation*, but from a user's point of view, it's very clearly *not doing what 
they asked*, which was to set a longer password.



Rowan Tommins
[IMSoP]

Reply via email to