It sounds like the algorithm advice is to use ML-DSA-44/65.  At this point,
should someone just create an Internet-Draft to specify the PQC algorithm
for use with DKIM and DKIM2 and post it to the list?
-Wei

On Tue, Jul 28, 2026 at 8:38 AM John Levine <[email protected]> wrote:

> It appears that Wei Chuang  <[email protected]> said:
> >First I just wanted to summarize what I saw on the thread: Stephen Farrell
> >recommended PQC algorithm ML-DSA-44 or -65 and classical RSA/Ed25519.
> >Stephen also says -65 may be desirable to future proof.  John Levine
> agreed
> >ML-DSA-44 or -65 are reasonable, and inquired with Paul (Wouters)
> ><https://datatracker.ietf.org/person/[email protected]> who also
> >agreed.  He also mentioned that DNSOPS was also looking at PQC concurrent
> >with us.  Presumably we can look over there to see what they are thinking.
> >Steffen Nurpmeso suggested FAEST and MQOM PQC signature algorithms and
> >comparison website https://pqshield.github.io/nist-sigs-zoo/.   Alexander
> >Stumpf suggests storing the SHA-3 hash of the PQC public key in DNS.
> >Richard says this will make PQC algorithms a special case, and complicate
> >DKIM2.  Michael Deutschmann suggests avoiding the overhead of base64
> >encoding the PQC public key in DNS by using a new resource record.  John
> >says that the DNS over TLS should be able to support PQC public key sizes,
> >and in case we should see what DNSOPS proposes.
>
> Sounds right.
>
> >I also looked around DNSOPS for PQC advice.  I found that they seem to be
> >actively working
> ><https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/dnsop/Yr6A91U5gbjZ_L6NkMj8mbgTeQE/
> >
> >on rules for handling greylisting algorithms on short notice via
> >draft-huque-dnsop-multi-alg-rules
> ><https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-huque-dnsop-multi-alg-rules/>.
> We
> >likely need a similar discussion for DKIM2 on how to gracefully handle
> >greylisting of the classical RSA/Ed25519 signature.
>
> As I said in DNSOP, I think this is a bad idea becauase I don't think that
> a typical DNS operator (or mail operator) knows enough about cryptography
> to use such a feature sensibly.
>
> If you think a signing algorithm is broken, just stop signing with it.
> I think that DKIM signatures are likely to be pretty far down the list
> of things attacked with PQ computers since they're short lived and the
> stuff they sign is usually low value. If I want to phish people, there
> are a lot cheaper ways than using a quantum computer to make a fake
> DKIM signature.
>
> Re the "AND" thing, if we really think that's important, we can add
> a double signing algorithm where the keys and signatures are the
> two individual ones concatenated.  No need to add more complication
> to the spec.
>
>   Also note that Stephen
> >suggested signing and validating ML-DSA-44/65 with RSA/Ed25519 a "AND".
> >Second, DNSSEC was able to more widely deploy
> ><https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/octo-033-04apr22-en.pdf> an
> >alternative to RSA i.e. ECDSA than DKIM which is predominantly RSA.
>
> Key rotation in DKIM1 doesn't work in practice, mostly because you have
> to have separate selectors for different algorithms which means double
> signing, which risks losing mail in badly designed receivers that
> penalize signatures they can't verify.  I think we fixed this in DKIM2.
>
> Also, the DNS crowd puts a lot of emphasis on keeping responses small.
> While ed25519 is smaller than RSA, it's not enough smaller that it
> would make any different in mail handling.
>
> R's,
> John
>
_______________________________________________
Ietf-dkim mailing list -- [email protected]
To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]

Reply via email to