**

   - 
*Permali<http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/03/world/middleeast/03diplomacy.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha2&pagewanted=all#>
   *

  SHAME ON ARAB AND MUSLIM WORLD!!! The entire tone and tenor of the
following New York Times report is a shame for any nation or people that
have any self-respect, dignity or aspiration of freedom and liberty in this
world of history's most oppressive force manifested by the United States of
America. The manner in which so many technocrats/bureaucrats in so many
offices of US administrations in Washington and bureaus and embassies around
the world, is described issuing minute by minute direction of a supposed
'people's revolution' in Egypt in effect mocks any aspiration of the
sovereign and security of a nation of 80 million people and with that the
entire population of over a billion people of Arab and Muslim world. Just as
people have risen against the oppressive regime of Husni Mubarak in Egypt,
it is time people of the world should rise against the oppressive hegemony
of the United States of America. Let it be as peaceful revolution as people
gathered in Liberation (Tahrir) Square have staged. Unless a world wide
peaceful movement against US oppressive hegemony over practically each and
every nation in the supposedly Free World is organized, a new Age of Slavery
will be ushered in to darken the entire globe. Let Obama head the storm
brewing all over the world.

*Ghulam Muhammed, Mumbai*

*[email protected]*
*http://ghulammuhammed.blogspot.com

------------------------
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/03/world/middleeast/03diplomacy.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha2&pagewanted=all#h[]
*
Sudden Split Recasts U.S. Foreign Policy *By HELENE COOPER, MARK LANDLER and
MARK MAZZETTI* *Published: February 2, 2011*

*WASHINGTON — After days of delicate public and private diplomacy, the
United States openly broke with its most stalwart ally in the Arab world on
Wednesday, as the Obama administration strongly condemned violence by allies
of President Hosni
Mubarak<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/m/hosni_mubarak/index.html?inline=nyt-per>of
Egypt against protesters and called on him to speed up his exit from
power. *

* Egypt’s government hit back swiftly. The Foreign Ministry released a
defiant statement saying the calls from “foreign parties” had been “rejected
and aimed to incite the internal situation in Egypt.” And Egyptian officials
reached out to reporters to make clear how angry they were at their onetime
friend. *

* Separately, in an interview, a senior Egyptian government official took
aim at President
Obama<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/o/barack_obama/index.html?inline=nyt-per>’s
call on Tuesday night for a political transition to begin “now” — a call
that infuriated Cairo. *

* But the White House was not backing down. “I want to be clear,” said Robert
Gibbs<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/g/robert_gibbs/index.html?inline=nyt-per>,
the press secretary. “ ‘Now’ started yesterday.” *

* The Obama administration seemed determined Wednesday to put as much
daylight as possible between Mr. Obama and Mr. Mubarak, once considered an
unshakable American supporter in a tumultuous region, with Mr. Gibbs once
again raising the specter of a cutoff of American aid to the Mubarak
government if the Egyptian president failed to bend. *

* “There are things that the government needs to do,” he said. “There are
reforms that need to be undertaken. And there are opposition entities that
have to be included in the conversations as we move toward free and fair
elections.” Those elections are currently scheduled for September, but the
State Department spokesman, Philip J. Crowley, said, “The sooner that can
happen, the better.” *

* The open rupture between the United States and Egypt illustrates how swift
and dramatic changes in Cairo are altering the calculus of the entire region
and the administration’s foreign policy agenda. Besides Egypt, there were
upheavals this week among other close American allies in the fight against Al
Qaeda<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/a/al_qaeda/index.html?inline=nyt-org>,
and in the long struggle to reach a Middle East peace. Israeli officials
expressed concern that Mr. Mubarak’s abrupt exit could jeopardize the 1979
peace treaty between Egypt and Israel. *

* Even as the White House was trying to react to the latest flare-up of
violence in Egypt on Wednesday — Mr. Gibbs pointedly criticized attacks
against the media in Egypt and against “peaceful demonstrators” — officials
at the Pentagon, the State Department, the Central Intelligence
Agency<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/c/central_intelligence_agency/index.html?inline=nyt-org>and
the White House were running various scenarios across the region in an
effort to keep up with events. *

* What would the covert American war in Yemen look like if the supportive
Yemeni president were to be forced out? Will Mr. Mubarak’s successor
duplicate his support of the Middle East peace process? Will the shifts in
the region benefit Islamic extremists, who will try to capitalize on unrest,
or will it show the Arab street the power of a secular uprising? *

* “A full range of events are being discussed in many buildings throughout
Washington,” Mr. Gibbs said. *

* As evidence of how far the rift has gone, a senior Egyptian official
reached out to a reporter to criticize Mr. Obama’s remarks. *

* “There is a contradiction between calling on the transition to begin now,
and the calls which President Mubarak himself has made for an orderly
transition,” said the official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.
“Mubarak’s primary responsibility is to ensure an orderly and peaceful
transfer of power. We can’t do that if we have a vacuum of power.” He said
that the Egyptian government has “a serious issue with how the White House
is spinning this.” *

* For the Obama administration and the Egyptian government, the flip from
allies to open confrontation has been fast. When former President George
Bush was briefed ahead of his recent call to Mr. Mubarak — a call Mr. Bush
volunteered to make because he was an old friend — Mr. Bush was given no
instructions to push the leader toward the exit, according to people
familiar with the conversations. *

* “No one wanted the vacuum of power that would happen if Mubarak left too
soon,” said a former senior official who was consulted by the White House. *

* Now, though, administration officials are calling for visible steps from
the Mubarak government. At a minimum, the Obama administration wants to make
sure that political opponents of Mr. Mubarak are included in negotiations —
which the United States wants to see begin at once — over how to restructure
Egypt’s political system in a way that will take into account the grievances
of the protesters. *

* American officials do not want a repeat of past promises from the Mubarak
government for free elections that were followed by a shutting of the
process to its opposition. After watching Mr. Mubarak’s statement — in which
he fell far short of sweeping reform — Mr. Obama decided to toughen his own
language further, demanding that change begin immediately. “The language was
crafted after he spoke,” a senior administration official said. *

* “They want something better than when Mubarak said, ‘I want my Parliament
to amend the articles of the Constitution relating to the presidential
elections,’” said Brian Katulis, a foreign policy expert at the Center for
American Progress. “If you’re the opposition, you’re thinking: ‘This is the
Parliament which was elected in sham elections? No way.’ ” *

* Secretary of State Hillary Rodham
Clinton<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/c/hillary_rodham_clinton/index.html?inline=nyt-per>called
Egypt’s vice president, Omar
Suleiman<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/s/omar_suleiman/index.html?inline=nyt-per>,
in the afternoon to reinforce Mr. Obama’s call for Mr. Mubarak to begin a
transition immediately. Defense Secretary Robert M.
Gates<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/g/robert_m_gates/index.html?inline=nyt-per>and
Adm. Mike
Mullen<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/m/michael_g_mullen/index.html?inline=nyt-per>,
chairman of the Joint Chiefs of
Staff<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/j/joint_chiefs_of_staff/index.html?inline=nyt-org>,
both called their counterparts on Wednesday as well. Officials said the
administration is worried about a call for even larger protests on Friday,
and said Wednesday’s clashes had narrowed Mr. Mubarak’s options. *

* Mr. Obama’s private emissary to Mr.
Mubarak<http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/02/world/middleeast/02transition.html>,
Frank G. 
Wisner<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/w/frank_george_wisner/index.html?inline=nyt-per>,
abruptly left Cairo on Wednesday evening after only two meetings, one with
the president and one with Mr. Suleiman. *

* “We felt that he had done what he could do,” the official said. “They had
a conversation, and we felt that it had gone as far as it could.” *

* For the United States, the unfolding crisis is about much more than just a
rift with an ally.*

* With the popular revolts in Egypt and Yemen — and a government already
deposed in Tunisia — American counterterrorism officials are concerned that
radical factions in those countries could find a new foothold amid the
chaos. The United States is heavily reliant on foreign partners, and
officials and outside experts said that losing Mr. Mubarak or President Ali
Abdullah 
Saleh<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/s/ali_abdullah_saleh/index.html?inline=nyt-per>of
Yemen would deal a short-term blow to its counterterrorism campaign.
*

* Or perhaps not. *

* “There’s part of this that’s dangerous to Al Qaeda,” said Juan Zarate of
the Center for Strategic and International
Studies<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/c/center_for_strategic_and_international_studies/index.html?inline=nyt-org>,
who was a top counterterrorism official during George W.
Bush<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/b/george_w_bush/index.html?inline=nyt-per>’s
administration. “If the street protests lead to a peaceful, pluralistic
transition, that does huge damage to the Al Qaeda narrative,” he said. That
narrative holds that authoritarian pro-American governments should be
deposed by violent jihad. *

* Still, some cautioned that it could take months or years for the long-term
impact of the recent uprisings to be revealed. Citing Lebanon’s Cedar
Revolution of 2005, Bruce Hoffman of Georgetown
University<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/g/georgetown_university/index.html?inline=nyt-org>pointed
out that the uprising had the immediate impact of bringing down the
country’s Syria-backed government and causing the withdrawal of Syrian
troops from Lebanon, but six years later the militant group
Hezbollah<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/h/hezbollah/index.html?inline=nyt-org>is
now Lebanon’s de-facto government.
*

* Experts said Mr. Saleh might be able to navigate the shoals of popular
unrest more expertly than President Mubarak. *

* Described by American officials as a wily survivor, Mr. Saleh has spent
years dealing with strife inside Yemen, from Shiite separatists to militants
linked to Al Qaeda. Some in Washington questioned whether the pledge he made
Wednesday to step cede power in 2013 was sincere, or a clever tactic to
appease his enemies in Yemen. *

* “Saleh is used to dancing in the snake pit,” Mr. Zarate said. *

 *David E. Sanger contributed reporting. *

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"humanrights movement" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/humanrights-movement?hl=en.

Reply via email to