---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mahtab Alam <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 4:48 PM
Subject: Media dubs mosque illegal without probe
To: "ghulam. muhammed" <[email protected]>, Ghulam Muhammed <
[email protected]>



http://thehoot.org/web/home/story.php?storyid=5081&mod=1&pg=1&sectionId=19&valid=true
#

The demolition of an `illegal’ mosque has given rise to tension and further
alienation of the Muslim community from the media.

Newspapers and agencies have not checked if the mosque was really built on
illegal land, says MAHTAB ALAM

Posted  Saturday, Jan 22 23:56:52, 2011

 *
On the morning of 12th January 2010, a mosque, Noor Masjid, located in south
Delhi~s Jangpura area was demolished by the Delhi Development Authority
(DDA) claiming that it stood on ‘illegal’ land. The demolition sparked
protests. English news agencies Indio-Asian News Services (IANS) and Press
Trust of India (PTI) filed reports on the incident.

 The IANS, one of the largest subscribed news agencies, wrote, “The Delhi
Development Authority (DDA) demolished an illegal mosque in south Delhi~s
Jangpura area today morning, sparking protests against which police used
force and tear gas shells, an official said.” This appeared on different
news portals with the headings, “Delhi: Protest over demolition of illegal
mosque” and “Protest over demolition of illegal religious structure”.

PTI, partly funded by the government of India, reported, “Six persons,
including four policemen, were injured here today when police used batons to
disperse a group of people who indulged in stone-pelting to protest the
demolition of a religious structure illegally built on government land,”
with the heading, “Protest over demolition of illegal religious structure, 6
hurt”. In follow up reports PTI used the word illegal in quotes to question
the DDA’s claim but its subscribers, including The Hindu, ignored these.
“Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Saturday reviewed the situation in South
Delhi’s Jangpura area where an illegal mosque was demolished by civic
bodies, leading to tension,” reported The Hindu dated 15th January using PTI
as its source. Earlier on 13th, the daily reported, “Several people were
injured when the police lathi charged and tear gassed residents who were
protesting against the demolition of a religious structure by the Delhi
Development Authority (DDA) at Nizamuddin here on Wednesday” with the
heading, “Demolition of religious structure by DDA in Delhi sparks tension”.
It was also reported in various news papers and portals that the demolition
was ordered by the Delhi High Court.
In covering the incident the newspapers and agencies have not bothered to
check if the mosque was really built on illegal land. They have relied
entirely on official sources and not spoken to the protesting people.

Dr Zafar Mahmood, who heads the Zakat Foundation of India (ZFI) and is
Officer on Special Duty (OSD) of Sachar Committee, in an article titled
“Jangpura Masjid: Factual Position” (TwoCircles.net, 13th January) claimed
that months before the demolition, his organisation had approached the
office of Lt Governor, DDA and Delhi Government’s Home Dept. seeking details
about a meeting of the Religious Committee held on 16th June 2009 at which
this mosque was discussed. As yet there has been no response to this
request, he wrote.
He claimed that the High Court had not ordered the demolition of the masjid
and that the Delhi Wakf Board had informed DDA on 26 Oct 2010 that the 30
year old masjid was located on land owned by the Board as per a 35 year old
gazette notification. He said he had all the relevant documents in his
possession.
He further argued that while the demolition was carried out under the
pretext of a Delhi High Court order in response to a writ by the Jangpura
Residents Association for removal of unauthorized construction and
encroachment on the adjoining Nala and public land, the comments by the
court indicate that it was satisfied with the action on encroachment taken
prior to the demolition of the masjid. “Having examined the photographs
filed by the Association it appeared to the Court that most of the
unauthorized structures have been removed and there is a boundary wall
constructed to ensure that no further encroachments take place. It is stated
by the counsels for the Petitioners that any further grievance that the
Petitioner may have, including those made in the present application, will
be promptly looked into and appropriate action taken thereon. ‘In view of
this statement, this Court does not consider it necessary to continue to
monitor the progress of the implementation of its directions’,” he added.

A report by journalist Seema Mustafa in The Sunday Guardian also confirmed
the claims made by Zafar Mahmood. “Documents with The Sunday Guardian show
that it was not the Delhi High Court alone as is being propagated, but the
Lt Governor~s office, supported by the Delhi government that pushed for the
demolition. On 28 October 2009, Joint Secretary (Home) in the Delhi
government, R.N. Sharma wrote to the vice chairman saying, "The Religious
Committee in its meeting held on 16.06.2009 ... recommended for the removal
of Masjid. As regards the Balmiki mandir it has been recommended that DDA
should consider the request for re-allotment of land." He goes on to add
that the Lt Governor has approved these recommendations and that immediate
action should be taken.”
A curious fallout of the incident is that the area has become a tourist
attraction due to the media coverage it has received. This is not unlike
what happened after the 2008 `encounter’ at Batla House locality of Jamia
Nagar. Apart from attracting gawkers, the reportage has lead to furthering
the belief within the Muslim community that the media is biased against it.
It has engendered an atmosphere of suspicion and distrust that can be
allayed only through responsible and sensitive coverage of such events by
the media.

(Mahtab Alam is a Civil Rights’ Activist and can be reached at
[email protected] )  <[email protected]>




*


   1 <http://thehoot.org/web/home/printstory.php?sid=5081&pg=1>
Print  Window
Close <http://thehoot.org/web/home/printstory.php?sid=5081#>--
MD. MAHTAB ALAM
[email protected]
Phone:+ 91-9811209345

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"humanrights movement" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/humanrights-movement?hl=en.

Reply via email to