As noted by Duncan on the Gentoo-AMD64 list (see the archives there for the 
last few days) - KDE3 may be masked at any point now if there are security 
issues, etc. that arise as KDE is very minimally supporting it and there are 
apparently very few if anyone in the Gentoo community working on KDE3 now too; 
it seems the Gentoo/KDE team has moved on to KDE4 as well so KDE3 isn't really 
being paid attention too, and if something breaks it might get fixed or KDE3 
might get masked instead.

Duncan brought it up out of concern that KDE3 may be masked before KDE4 is 
marked arch stable, and wanted to the let the AMD64 community know.

If you want details, I suggest:

1) Read the archives in the AMD64 list for the last few days - namely the 
thread titled "Heads-up: KDEers: Particularly kde3-ers," - pay most attention 
to the early part of the thread, as it did get a little distracted late 
yesterday and early today on topics of hardware support (kind of related, by 
probably mostly off-topic).
2) Check out the Gentoo-Desktop list, there are some related summaries of some 
meetings that provide some good info as well.
3) Check out the Gentoo-KDE folks, and see what they are up to.

All that said, there is a call out for people interested in supporting KDE3 via 
an overlay. So if you really want to continue using KDE3 in the long term, I 
would suggest checking into how you can help out. (Who knows, may be if enough 
people complain to Gentoo/KDE they'll keep someone on it more; but from what I 
little I am aware that doesn't sound likely.)

Just another messenger,

Ben



----- Original Message ----
From: Dale <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Sent: Friday, August 28, 2009 10:34:30 AM
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE 4 installation

Massimiliano Ziccardi wrote:
> Thank you all a lot.
>
> When I saw that KDE4 was the current supported version, I though I had
> to update to KDE4, but emerge wasn't able to update from KDE 3 to KDE
> 4 for some reason (I had a similar problem some time ago with the
> monolithic package).
>
> I'll wait for KDE 4 to be stabilized.
>
> Again, gentoo community is the best!
>
> Thanks!
>
> ---
> Massimiliano
>

This is my opinion so don't etch this in stone or anything.  I don't
think KDE4 is quite ready yet.  There are still a few things that are
not "there" yet.  It has come a LONG way since I tried 4.1 tho.  I may
wait until KDE 4.4 comes out before I really switch over.  I also don't
like the kdm screen for KDE4 either.  Long story.

If you want something stable, by all means wait a bit.  You can have
both installed at the same time tho.  I do right now.

Dale

:-)  :-) 

Reply via email to