Tomáš Chvátal posted on Sun, 28 Aug 2011 13:28:26 +0200 as excerpted: > I updated the grub2 ebuilds in main tree and took maintainership of > grub2.
Thanks. I've been wondering about trying grub2, but have some questions. What is needed to compile it? Specifically, my main machine is ~amd64 no-multilib and runs grub-static for grub1 (0.97-r10) Should 64-bit gcc without multilib be able to compile grub2, or is 32-bit gcc needed? If 32-bit is needed, I should be able to build it in my 32-bit netbook build-image chroot, but obviously I don't want it trying to do anything funny like trying to load into boot records, from there. The grub-static-0.97-rX tarball is simply a binpkged grub-0.97-rX built and binpkged on a 32-bit machine, with an ebuild that extracts and installs the binaries from the binpkg. Could the same technique be used for grub-static-2? Slotted is good, as on my main machine I run a quad-disk md/RAID set, normally all four in RAID-1, but for /boot, only two in RAID-1, with a second RAID-1 for the other two, with the idea of experimenting with grub-2 there and selecting which to boot from the BIOS. BTW, does grub- static slot nicely with it as well? Of course, for this to work, I'll presumably have to install the binpkg built in the 32-bit chroot slotted with grub-static on my main machine, then manually install to the second /boot after mounting it, and manually install to those disks boot records. grub2 supports gpt I'm told. I'm 100% gpt on both systems (main and netbook) and my bootable thumbdrives as well, all using grub-static at this point, but both systems are still conventional BIOS. All bootable drives have both a legacy BIOS boot partition (1024 KB) and an EFI system reserved partition (127 MB, thus 128 MB for the two of them combined), both empty/reserved at this point, in addition to the normal md/RAID-1 /boot partition. Again, they're all GPT but BIOS booting. Where's the optimal place to install grub2 in this setup and how do I tell it to do so, and/or tell the ebuild to not try to install to any boot records when I'm simply building/installing it in the 32-bit netbook build-image chroot? Some of this might be in your devspace docs already, but I doubt it all is. I could probably help with them as the answers are worked out. I'm still posting this to the (devel, not announce) list as I imagine others will find your answers at global level useful as well and getting some discussion into the public list archives is likely to be useful, given the dearth of info I've seen on grub2 in Gentoo so far. However, taking it to bugs or to private mail will probably be better at some point. -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
