I have read a little bit about the protocol and as I can tell it is suitable 
for hard real time systems and very fast. I think it is a very good protocol 
but it requires special hardware circuits at the devices.

I currently use ordinary ethernet which have the same speed although more 
messages need to be sent. In particular one message with feedback need to be 
sent from each device with ordinary ethernet while with ethercat feedback 
values are inserted into the messages as they pass thru the device. For values 
sent to devices multicast should work so in this direction there should be no 
advantage. Then messages are sent from devices there are also a risk of 
collision which may slow down communication with ordinary ethernet.

Another consideration is there are very cheap development board available with 
ordinary ethernet but I have not seen this cheap boards with ethercat.

Nicklas Karlsson



On Mon, 9 Mar 2015 23:51:44 +0200 (EET)
Marius Alksnys <[email protected]> wrote:

> What is the current state and achievements of EtherCAT servo
>  control from LinuxCNC?
> 
> Is it a good choice for current and future projects?
> 
> What servo drives to look at in EU?
> I found that .4 to .7 kW Delta ASDA-A2 with EtherCAT costs 70 EUR
>  more than classic IO model. I understand this as a marketing
>  only..?
> 
> 
> ----Android NewsGroup Reader----
> http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
> 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Dive into the World of Parallel Programming The Go Parallel Website, sponsored
> by Intel and developed in partnership with Slashdot Media, is your hub for all
> things parallel software development, from weekly thought leadership blogs to
> news, videos, case studies, tutorials and more. Take a look and join the 
> conversation now. http://goparallel.sourceforge.net/
> _______________________________________________
> Emc-users mailing list
> [email protected]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/emc-users

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dive into the World of Parallel Programming The Go Parallel Website, sponsored
by Intel and developed in partnership with Slashdot Media, is your hub for all
things parallel software development, from weekly thought leadership blogs to
news, videos, case studies, tutorials and more. Take a look and join the 
conversation now. http://goparallel.sourceforge.net/
_______________________________________________
Emc-users mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/emc-users

Reply via email to