I am working on an internal proposal and am looking for some feedback from my 
peers who are on either side of this topic.

I am working on an EDI software migration, and I selected the software we went 
with (Liaison ECS/Delta) for several reasons.  One of the reasons I chose it 
(and one of the points I made in getting it approved) is that I can potentially 
save money by performing more direct-connections with a few of my higher-volume 
trading partners and avoid the VAN costs of data transmissions.  

My old software was limited to simple FTP connections.  My new software is 
capable of just about any communication protocol that can be used by EDI.

I have been speaking with one of my Network Administrators about getting our 
systems set up for AS2 (of which he and most of my Operations team have never 
heard).  Since this protocol is a "push" behavior, they are very against 
it--even if going through a designated web server in our DMZ--from a security 
perspective.

I can still accomplish some of my promised cost savings if I perform some 
direct-connections to higher-volume trading partners via S/FTP instead of AS2, 
but that could require at least one of us to host the FTP server and possibly 
allow the other to "push" documents to us.  This seems much more doable if both 
partners can simply "pull" documents at their own leisure and keep the new 
processes within the scope of my current security policies.

I have been trying to find a good business reason why AS2 is better than S/FTP. 
 Basically, is it worth me trying to get my company to adjust their policies 
and possibly hardware, and invest their time to establish an environment that 
is compatible with AS2 in order to save me money, or are there any reasons I 
can't use my existing FTP abilities to accomplish this?  I understand that 
EDIINT recommends AS2 for EDI traffic, but I haven't seen a discussion against 
S/FTP as it pertains to EDI.

My current FTP connection to my VAN uses encryption in both directions, so the 
transmissions are secure and ensured.  I have been told that while an MDN 
confirms receipt of a transmitted file, an X12 997 (Functional Acknowledgement) 
is still necessary to communicate that the transmitted file was functionally 
correct and not just simply received.  So, using the "immediate acknowledgement 
of transmission success via MDN on AS2" argument is MOOT.

Thoughts?  Feedback?



------------------------------------

...
Please use the following Message Identifiers as your subject prefix: <SALES>, 
<JOBS>, <LIST>, <TECH>, <MISC>, <EVENT>, <OFF-TOPIC>

Job postings are welcome, but for job postings or requests for work: <JOBS> IS 
REQUIRED in the subject line as a prefix.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EDI-L/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EDI-L/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Reply via email to