If you are going to use GENTRAN you will also have to know some SQL and for
GIS you will need to know some Java.  Neither are critical for learning the
mapping itself, but you will have to know them in order to fully understand
the processing of their mapped documents.

 

Their mapping hierarchy involves:

Linking

Standard rules

Extended rules

Check their help menu on how they work.

 

Sincerely,

 

 

Jason McMahon

8079 Village Drive

Cincinnati, OH  45242-4315

 <mailto:[email protected]> [email protected]

 <http://gutausse.weebly.com/articles.html>
http://gutausse.weebly.com/articles.html

http://gutausse.blogspot.com/

 

 <http://www.linkedin.com/pub/jason-mcmahon/11/743/51b>
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/jason-mcmahon/11/743/51b

 

  _____  

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of
Ashlie Jeter
Sent: Friday, February 04, 2011 10:46 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [EDI-L] How to get EDI Mapping / Technical Experience

 

  

Paul -

I have been in the same boat...no mapping experience but no tool to use
either. I eventually landed a support job that allowed me to teach myself
mapping on the side and there are training courses and such that different
companies provide. I know Sterling Commerce has mapping courses available so
if you have the money, they have the info. Their products seem to be popular
right now (along with GXS's suite of products - including BizManager) so I
suggest concentrating on those applications first and then branch out if you
want to.

You can try to google EDI training, free mapping tools, etc. but I'm not
sure if any of that will exist or help you out much. You really need a tool
to play with so you can test your map. That is where the learning starts. I
taught myself mapping using Gentran:NT/856 transaction type (user-friendly
interface; challenging document). I figured that would cover all of the
advanced rules and looping issues that come up in nearly every map you will
design in the future. So, get access to a tool and start going through the
tutorials.

The GIS/SI suite (Sterling Commerce) is more technical and you don't have to
actually set up envelopes/partners/routing/etc. to test a map. I personally
believe that's part of the mapping process so having to go through all of
that as well will allow you to see the entire process from start to finish.
However, the SI mapper interface is just as user friendly as Gentran:NT so
if that's all you want then go for it.

I've been in your shoes so I know how frustrating it is to find mapping
training outside of a work environment. Good luck!

-Ashlie

PS. Consider landing a support role and working your way into mapping if you
want to do that...that will give you free tools to teach yourself while also
receiving a paycheck. :) That's what I did!!!!

----- Original Message ----- 
From: Ken Etter 
To: pkam74 ; [email protected] <mailto:EDI-L%40yahoogroups.com>  
Sent: Friday, February 04, 2011 6:47 AM
Subject: Re: [EDI-L] How to get EDI Mapping / Technical Experience

As other responses have indicated, there are a number of EDI Translator
products 
out there, from:

Gentran Integration Suite (GIS)
TrustedLink Series (400, Windows, Enterprise)
Bizmanager/Bizlink
Application Integrator (AI - hope I got that name correct)
Gentran Server
Biztalk
Websphere
A number of mainframe apps (Benchmark)

You're gonna have to be more specific. And actually I'm not aware of anyone
who 
really has their own copy of the larger packages, or even the smaller ones
for 
that matter. Most of the members here have real-time OJT experience. I 
personally have experience

Another area I saw missing in your list below was system administration...

Ken
[email protected] <mailto:edispec%40yahoo.com> 

________________________________
From: pkam74 <[email protected] <mailto:pkam74%40gmail.com> >
To: [email protected] <mailto:EDI-L%40yahoogroups.com> 
Sent: Thu, February 3, 2011 10:28:14 PM
Subject: [EDI-L] How to get EDI Mapping / Technical Experience

I am looking for suggestions in gaining mapping experience in EDI. I've
managed 
EDI projects but always had programmers do the mapping/programming. Most EDI

positions these days want someone with hands-on mapping experience.

I have 3 years experience managing EDI projects as the lead business
contact. I 
can read, analyze, and troubleshoot EDI transactions and have knowledge of
all 
aspects of EDI Implementations (requirements, comm setup, testing, 
troubleshooting, etc). How can I get hands on mapping experience to complete
my 
skill set? 

Below are examples of how I've been involved in EDI Implementations:

- updating/maintaining company EDI implementation guides 
- gathering customer requirements
- ensuring the business and internal core systems can meet the EDI needs 
internally
- setting up test plans/scenarios to be followed
- write up of logical mapping from core applications to EDI and vice versa
- contact with VAN's to setup communication links: exchanging TP
ID/Qualifier, 
interconnects, etc
- entering test data into our internal core apps for end to end testing in
test 
env
- managing production cut-over 
- troubleshooting business/technical issues once live

Any help would be very much appreciated. 

Thanks
Paul

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]





[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



------------------------------------

...
Please use the following Message Identifiers as your subject prefix: <SALES>, 
<JOBS>, <LIST>, <TECH>, <MISC>, <EVENT>, <OFF-TOPIC>

Job postings are welcome, but for job postings or requests for work: <JOBS> IS 
REQUIRED in the subject line as a prefix.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EDI-L/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EDI-L/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Reply via email to