Thanks for flagging this! I missed this announcement. On the one hand I'm 
sad about the introduction of usage based pricing, and on the other hand 
I'm glad that they're thinking ahead and planning for sustainability, 
particularly with all the changes ahead thanks to the prolifteration of AI 
tools. I don't think they're wrong when they close out their blog post 
saying that we're moving into an era where people aren't going to visit 
openalex.org anymore to search, they're going to be vibe-coding their own 
custom interfaces instead. 

I'm curious about your comment that the filter function is blocked by the 
API if you're not on a premium plan. Their pricing model seems to indicate 
that filtering is $0.0001 per call, so as long as you haven't spent through 
your $1/day allowance you should be able to utlize the filter function for 
"free"? 

On the whole I think the important things are transparency in pricing and 
commitment to open and community-driven infrastructure, and overall I think 
that OpenAlex is the best option out there. Unless there are others I'm not 
thinking of? I also think that even with just a $1/day free account, our IR 
could run workflows that utilize the OpenAlex API without going over that 
budget (granted I work at a small institution).

I don't like the somewhat cavaliere FAQ, *Will prices change? **Yes, 
probably. The point of this model is to keep our prices tightly linked to 
our costs, and our costs will likely change with new tech, new use cases, 
and new data. *We don't have room in our budgets for steep increases year 
to year, we need stability and predictability in pricing in order to feel 
comfortable investing our time and money in building workflows on 
something. This answer doesn't give me feelings of predictability or 
stability--I hope it's just a wording issue and not an indication that 
prices might suddenly fluctuate upward.

Curious to hear more thoughts on this. Is anyone out there using the 
OpenAlex API and have you stuck to $1/day or less?

Erica
On Sunday, April 12, 2026 at 9:06:51 PM UTC-4 Fatih Güneş wrote:

> OpenAlex support came to Dspace with V9 on May 2025. I have build two 
> university integration and data migration on OpenAlex. It seemed more 
> robust by having pids for entities. Than in Feb 2026 Openalex converted to 
> usage 
> based pricing. 
> <https://blog.openalex.org/openalex-api-new-features-and-usage-based-pricing/>
> They seem to offer a free plan including 1$ credit, but I was surprised to 
> see that even the filter function is blocked by API if you are not in 
> premium plans. There are two plans which cost 10K for member, and 20K for 
> partners per year. 
> I accept that an open source project can have premium services for 
> sustainability. But limiting main functions feel like bait and switch.
> What do you think?
>
> Fatih
>

-- 
All messages to this mailing list should adhere to the Code of Conduct: 
https://lyrasis.org/code-of-conduct/
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"DSpace Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To view this discussion visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dspace-community/a963a154-6b35-4c3c-ae8f-90d55d7a6df7n%40googlegroups.com.

Reply via email to