On Thu, Oct 01, 2026 at 06:43:13PM +0200, Danilo Krummrich wrote:
> On Thu Oct 1, 2026 at 6:19 PM CEST, Matthew Brost wrote:
> >   drm/msm: use DRM_GPUVM_RESV_PROTECTED for VM_BIND VMs
> 
> That's great! But the title suggests there are other VMs without this?
> 

What exactly are you asking? If you're asking whether I updated every
driver that uses GPUVM to use a two-pass approach, the answer is no. In
v1, I randomly picked Panthor in addition to Xe to demonstrate that this
was not a Xe-specific issue. In v2, I added MSM, as Anna presented this
problem yesterday at XDC along with a downstream solution, and my hope
is that this series addresses it.

The original implementation came from a realization that this is a clear
cross-process locking problem. I've done a significant amount of work in
this area and expect there will be many upstream changes over the next
year to address related issues. My thinking was essentially, "oh shit,
this is a clear cross-process locking problem, let me solve it."

It would be great if MSM and Anna could pick up this series and confirm
that it solves the issue. I don't have hard data on my end yet, although
I can work on gathering that as well.

> I couldn't find a changelog for v2, can you share it please?

v2 - Is adding MSM support. The other patches cleanly applied with git
am from the v1 post.

Matt

Reply via email to