#28636: Translation module: Check `LANG_INFO` against user's language 
preference as
optional feature
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
     Reporter:  Denis Anuschewski    |                    Owner:  nobody
         Type:  New feature          |                   Status:  new
    Component:                       |                  Version:  1.11
  Internationalization               |
     Severity:  Normal               |               Resolution:
     Keywords:  translation,         |             Triage Stage:
  internationalization, request      |  Unreviewed
    Has patch:  1                    |      Needs documentation:  1
  Needs tests:  0                    |  Patch needs improvement:  0
Easy pickings:  0                    |                    UI/UX:  0
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Comment (by Denis Anuschewski):

 Thx again. I tested your code and it really does exactly what I want!

 You were right that I don't really need to know the request language if
 it's not in `LANGUAGES`, because the resulting language is always 'en' for
 these cases. So my custom middleware's `process_request` would look like
 this:

 {{{
 def process_request(self, request):
     self.fallback_language = 'en'
     super(CustomMiddleWare, self).process_request(request)
     lan = request.LANGUAGE_CODE
     if not settings.LANGUAGE_CODE.startswith(lan):
 
translation.trans_real.translation(lan).add_fallback(DjangoTranslation(self.fallback_language))
 }}}

 Therefore I get either `LANGUAGE_CODE`, English or a language from
 `LANGUAGES` with English translation fallback. Bingo!

 Your approach seems cleaner and more readable for me, plus it affects less
 code. But there is one little thing I am missing: I would like to see an
 additional paragraph in the docstring  of `get_language_from_request`
 describing what fallback does. I would suggest something like this:

 {{{
 With a given fallback, this value will be returned instead of
 settings.LANGUAGE_CODE if no user language could be found.
 }}}

 Otherwise I am not missing anything. If you make a pull request with the
 little addition I mentioned, I am more than happy to declare it as a fix
 for this bug and vote for it.

-- 
Ticket URL: <https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/28636#comment:15>
Django <https://code.djangoproject.com/>
The Web framework for perfectionists with deadlines.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Django updates" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-updates/066.458b701852ccb10244484b1d768bc13c%40djangoproject.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to