#28554: Add support for multiple file fields
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
     Reporter:  Johannes Hoppe       |                    Owner:  Johannes
                                     |  Hoppe
         Type:  New feature          |                   Status:  assigned
    Component:  File                 |                  Version:  1.11
  uploads/storage                    |
     Severity:  Normal               |               Resolution:
     Keywords:  file, storage,       |             Triage Stage:
  upload, multiple, input            |  Unreviewed
    Has patch:  0                    |      Needs documentation:  0
  Needs tests:  0                    |  Patch needs improvement:  0
Easy pickings:  0                    |                    UI/UX:  0
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Comment (by Johannes Hoppe):

 I tried to exclude my personal opinion and preference from the ticket
 description, to have an open discussion.
 So here goes my personal opinion:

 It seems odd to me that the `FileField` is limited to 100 characters. I
 could not find any reference to why the field was limited in the first
 place. Furthermore I do not know of any file system with a 100 char
 limitation nor are URLs limited to only 100 chars.

 Therefore I would suggest basing the `FileField` upon the `TextField`.

 I would recommend splitting the issue tho. I would first add support form
 multiple files to form. This is a nice feature in itself and requires
 little work and good documentation. I would presume that such a feature
 would spawn a larger discussion on how to store those files. As multiple
 model instances? As an Array in Postgres? As CSV or JSON in a `TextField`?
 I think we can figure this out later or not at all if we don't come to a
 conclusion.

 I would love to work on that. I do maintain [django-
 s3file](https://github.com/codingjoe/django-s3file/) and [django-
 stdimage](https://github.com/codingjoe/django-stdimage/) and have some
 experience with custom the `FileInput` and `FileField`. Let me know if I
 can be of any help.

 Cheers
 -joe

-- 
Ticket URL: <https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/28554#comment:2>
Django <https://code.djangoproject.com/>
The Web framework for perfectionists with deadlines.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Django updates" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-updates/067.d81b11094090e5f58193a0314658960c%40djangoproject.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to