#28505: Django admin many to many recursive field widget shows identical objects
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
     Reporter:  Darshan Singh        |                    Owner:  Darius
  Khalsa                             |
         Type:  Bug                  |                   Status:  assigned
    Component:  Database layer       |                  Version:  1.10
  (models, ORM)                      |
     Severity:  Normal               |               Resolution:
     Keywords:                       |             Triage Stage:
                                     |  Unreviewed
    Has patch:  0                    |      Needs documentation:  0
  Needs tests:  0                    |  Patch needs improvement:  0
Easy pickings:  0                    |                    UI/UX:  0
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Comment (by Darshan Singh Khalsa):

 Thanks for your suggestion. I added the code snippets you suggested and
 put the @python_2_unicode_compatible decorator in front of each models.py
 occurrence of the def __unicode__(self): section. Running the Python3 test
 version of the live app with these changes resulted in no difference,
 "Member object" still appears in the employer and customer picklist
 fields. I thought perhaps I should migrate to see if the code edits would
 apply, but got many errors. Probably due to my not working with the test
 code for several months and having so many different versions while
 tinkering to overcome the "Member object" issue.

 I internationalized my Python2 live app last year and had to overcome many
 tricky Unicode issues related to translation into multiple foreign
 languages and writing downloads of data files containing Unicode
 characters. Had to rewrite quite a bit of code to get the app running in
 Python3, so once I get everything working properly in Python3, there is no
 going back. This bug report's issue has been the main obstacle to moving
 to Python3.

 I have a concern that using a Py2-Py3 compatible decorator as you
 recommend may drag me back towards Python2 and all of its Unicode
 inadequacies. I will have to read up on the decorator you recommended as
 well as read about __str__ instead of __Unicode__ in my Python3 models.py.

-- 
Ticket URL: <https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/28505#comment:6>
Django <https://code.djangoproject.com/>
The Web framework for perfectionists with deadlines.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Django updates" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-updates/073.70f4995f5e86351dd698f069c4a18ad9%40djangoproject.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to