#27996: Add pgcrypto extension  and GEN_RANDOM_UUID function to contrib.postgres
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
               Reporter:  Paolo      |          Owner:  Paolo Melchiorre
  Melchiorre                         |
                   Type:  New        |         Status:  assigned
  feature                            |
              Component:             |        Version:  master
  contrib.postgres                   |       Keywords:  uuid extension
               Severity:  Normal     |  function random postgresql
           Triage Stage:             |  cryptography
  Unreviewed                         |      Has patch:  1
    Needs documentation:  0          |    Needs tests:  0
Patch needs improvement:  0          |  Easy pickings:  0
                  UI/UX:  0          |
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 After the introduction of the UUID Field in Django 1.8, I believe that
 django.contrib.postgres could benefit from some custom functions based on
 the pgcrypto extension of PostgreSQL (see
 https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/pgcrypto.html). That kind of
 functions would be very helpful for apply a migration that adds a unique
 non-nullable field to a table with existing rows.

 Starting from "Migrations that add unique fields" (see
 https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/howto/writing-migrations
 /#migrations-that-add-unique-fields) I speed up the `gen_uuid` using
 `GEN_RANDOM_UUID` function, I change the function from:

 {{{
 import uuid

 def gen_uuid(apps, schema_editor):
     MyModel = apps.get_model('myapp', 'MyModel')
     for row in MyModel.objects.all():
         row.uuid = uuid.uuid4()
         row.save(update_fields=['uuid'])
 }}}

 to

 {{{
 from django.contrib.postgres.functions import RandomUUID

 def gen_uuid(apps, schema_editor):
     MyModel = apps.get_model('myapp', 'MyModel')
     MyModel.objects.update(uuid=RandomUUID())
 }}}

 Using this function on my system the time to migrate more than 10000
 objects decreased from

 {{{
 real 0m15.988s
 user 0m10.680s
 sys 0m0.508s
 }}}

 to


 {{{
 real 0m2.957s
 user 0m1.736s
 sys 0m0.072s
 }}}

 I already implemented a solution for thi feature and I'm crating a related
 pull request.

--
Ticket URL: <https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/27996>
Django <https://code.djangoproject.com/>
The Web framework for perfectionists with deadlines.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Django updates" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-updates/052.99e796b54bb7e4cef01431cbeab273a7%40djangoproject.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to