These interesting mails got blocked because their authors are not subscribed here. Thus the forward. Mt.
----- Forwarded message from James E Keenan <[email protected]> ----- Date: Mon, 25 May 2020 10:53:26 -0400 From: James E Keenan <[email protected]> To: [email protected], Martin Quinson <[email protected]> Subject: Re: Example of dumper (along with references) using Pod::Simple? User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/68.7.0 On 5/21/20 11:45 AM, Martin Quinson wrote: > Hello, > > I'm one of the authors of the https://po4a.org/ tool, which eases the > translation of documentation in various formats. The idea is to parse > the documentations, keep the structure and replace the content in > english with the translated content. See > https://po4a.org/man/man1/po4a.1.php for more information. > > (beware, the mailing lists of both projects are CCed) > > > po4a is written in Perl, and uses Pod::Parser so far, but I'm > considering switching to Pod::Simple instead, thus this email. > > I seem to understand that Pod::Parser is kinda deprecated and > Pod::Simple superior (I guess you agree?). In addition, my biggest > concern with Pod::Parser is that the reported line numbers are wrong. > The library reports fancyful locations for the blocks it reports. > For example, the following page reports that the presented page is in > file po4a, line 2 (there is a link to the bottom right). > https://hosted.weblate.org/translate/po4a/po4a-doc/en/?checksum=439ba747adcb37ed > But when you click on that link, you see that it's not the right > location at all. That's line 2 of the POD chunks, not of the whole file. > > I had a look at Pod::Simple to see how to convert po4a to the > modernity, but I would appreciate to have some guidance, please. For > reference, our code is here: > https://github.com/mquinson/po4a/blob/master/lib/Locale/Po4a/Pod.pm I forked and cloned this repo, then ran 'perl ./Build.PL'. I was informed: ##### hecking prerequisites... test_requires: ! SGMLS is not installed recommends: * Locale::gettext is not installed * SGMLS is not installed * Text::WrapI18N is not installed ##### I installed Locale::gettext and Text::WrapI18N without incident. I then installed the Debian/Ubuntu package 'libsgmls-perl' in the hope that that would satisfy the SGMLS pre-requisite. It did not. Moreover, './Build installdeps' told me: ##### Skipping SGMLS because I couldn't find a matching namespace. ##### How should I proceed? > > For now, we override initialize(), command(), verbatim() and > textblock() and then call parse_from_file() on the provided file. > > First question: which of the many Pod::Simple examples should I look > at to adapt this code? Sorry for this silly question, but you really > have many examples... > > Second question: How do you retrieve the line number in the original > text in your parsers? Will I have the same issue with the reported > line numbers ignoring the cut parts of the file? > > Third question: Is it possible to get some information from the > external blocks? (the parts that are not POD in the file) I would like > to "see" the comments added to these parts, searching for specific > comments that are intended for the translators. This is to implement > something similar to --add-command of xgettext. > > > Summarizing the first questions, I'm looking for a Pod::Simple example > that would dump the content to stdout along with the line numbers at > which the blocks are found. > > And if you feel that I'm off tracks and that my questions are not > relevant, I really need your guidance... > > Thanks in advance, > Mt. > Thank you very much. Jim Keenan ----- End forwarded message ----- -- Autrefois, c'était l'excellence qui faisait la notoriété. Maintenant, c'est la notoriété qui fait l'excellence. --- Alain Finkielkraut
signature.asc
Description: PGP signature
_______________________________________________ Devel mailing list -- [email protected] To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]
