I somehow missed this thread.

I do think staying on the latest third-party libraries is the right
approach. Holding off for too long can make future upgrades
significantly more challenging. Guava is a good example of how painful
that can get. :-)

+1

-Ayush

On Sun, 2 Aug 2026 at 21:48, Stamatis Zampetakis <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> I don't know what changed from 0.16.0 to 0.23.0 but if there are no 
> noticeable breaking changes then upgrading would be a net positive change.
>
> Staying too long on older versions just makes future upgrades even harder so 
> the sooner we can jump to recent releases the better and this applies to all 
> library upgrades.
>
> Best,
> Stamatis
>
> On Wed, Jul 29, 2026, 5:17 PM Zsolt Miskolczi <[email protected]> 
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Okumin,
>>
>> Thanks for the feedback. I already started to work on it. It seems it can be 
>> done with the http client upgrade as well.
>> Now I got to the point when it builds and have to figure out the test 
>> failures.
>>
>> So, so far it seems it will be a thrift + html5 client upgrade, combined.
>> You can see the current work in progress: 
>> https://github.com/apache/hive/pull/6653
>>
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Zsolt
>>
>> Shohei Okumiya <[email protected]> ezt írta (időpont: 2026. júl. 29., Sze, 
>> 16:11):
>>>
>>> Hi Zsolt,
>>>
>>> Thanks for checking the library's maintenance status. As far as I
>>> know, we can upgrade the library, and we should. I know Trino
>>> maintains its own Hive Metastore client and periodically upgrades the
>>> version. Therefore, I guess the wire protocol can be compatible.
>>>
>>> https://github.com/trinodb/hive-thrift/blob/master/pom.xml
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Okumin
>>>
>>> On Fri, Jul 24, 2026 at 12:09 AM Zsolt Miskolczi
>>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> >
>>> > Hi Folks,
>>> >
>>> > The last time libthrift.version got an upgrade was back in 2022, in 
>>> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-21173.
>>> >
>>> > We are currently on 0.16.0 and the recent version is 0.23.0
>>> >
>>> > Thrift releases: 
>>> > https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.thrift/libthrift
>>> >
>>> > Is it anything against doing the upgrade?
>>> >
>>> > Thanks,
>>> > Zsolt
>>> >
>>> >

Reply via email to