+1 (preview)
Gianluca Sartori -- https://dueuno.com On Sun, 23 Aug 2026 at 18:47, James Daugherty via dev <[email protected]> wrote: > This topic came up again this week: while trying to test Grails with > Groovy 6 (to ensure we can have a smooth upgrade when it releases). > Micronaut releases don't currently have any such support and fail on > Groovy 6. I'd like to start a vote thread on moving the Micronaut > related functionality out of grails-core into its own repo so it > doesn't continue to hinder Grails Version upgrades. Not just because > of the Groovy version, but it's a real problem that we have to choose > between libraries that Micronaut upgrades vs Spring upgrades. We've > already had to make decisions related to CVEs that could leave > applications vulnerable. > > I'd like to propose we do this as of Grails 8 - so have it working for > the initial Grails 8 release, and then rely on the community if > support continues. If we can get support, then we can continue to > support it in a laggard manner, but I don't want it to hold back > Grails. > > On Wed, Jun 17, 2026 at 10:03 AM James Fredley <[email protected]> > wrote: > > > > At the end of the day, someone that uses Micronaut in Grails will have > to step up to maintain it. It will be moving off grails-core into it's own > repo. James and I have put hundreds of hours into this and we are unsure > that more than 1 company is using it, given only one stated that it was > broken months after the Grails 7 release. The Spring Boot solution works > great for the declarative http client. > > > > On 2026/06/16 13:06:46 James Daugherty wrote: > > > Hi Everyone, > > > > > > For the last 2 weekly meetings we have discussed the problems of > > > integrating Micronaut & Spring. Both James Fredley & I have spent a > > > significant amount of time ensuring Micronaut continues to work with > > > Grails. While we have a solution for Grails 8, we don't think we can > > > continue this support without a champion to help in this area. Here > > > are the problems we've encountered: > > > > > > 1. Micronaut & Spring are updating dependencies at a different pace. > > > This is really our core issue. For example, in Spring Boot 3.5.x > > > Netty was updated to 4.1.x, while Micronaut jumped to 4.2.x. These > > > version mismatches introduce hard incompatibilities which makes us > > > choose which framework to prefer. Because Spring chose the lower > > > version, we were forced to choose Netty 4.1.x, which meant that the > > > Micronaut version had to be kept at a lower version. During 8.0's > > > development, this was even more extreme due to the Micronaut 5.x > > > development. > > > > > > 2. The downgrading of dependencies means CVEs in our dependent > > > libraries often will exist and we will be unable to update. This is a > > > huge blocker for us. We can't release insecure software. Without > > > members on either the Micronaut or Spring teams, we can't really help > > > resolve these issues. Micronaut has been helpful in updating > > > libraries when we request, but we don't think it's reasonable to ask > > > them to downgrade - we're not involved in their framework development. > > > > > > 3. Micronaut made the decision to jump all the way to Java 25 in > > > Micronaut 5, even though 21 is still supported. Spring made the > > > decision to support all the way back to 21. We had discussed going to > > > 25, but we wanted to choose the minimum JVM version that would be > > > supported for the life expectancy of Grails 8 (so we chose 21). This > > > means that the micronaut portions of our build have to be built with > > > Java 25, while the rest is built with Java 21. This is another huge > > > issue for us because the ASF Security team requires reproducible > > > builds. Which means a significant amount of work had to go into our > > > verification process to support this divergence. > > > > > > 4. We have not seen significant contributions to the Micronaut support > > > in Grails. Only James Fredley & James Daugherty have been evolving > > > it. Without a champion to help with these problems, we are spending > > > too much of our time on Micronaut and not enough on other core > > > priorities (i.e. Hibernate 7). > > > > > > 5. We believe there are a low number of users still using the > > > Micronaut support and thus the effort to continue this support is > > > higher than the reward. > > > > > > This email is meant to start a wider discussion: we want to move the > > > micronaut support into a side repository. If we can find a champion > > > to help maintain it, then we can keep publishing it separate from > > > Grails. Otherwise, we will eventually archive that integration and > > > abandon it. > > > > > > -James > > > >
