While I agree with you, I'm not sure what the phrase "the foundation should
ensure" means in practice. Project independence is pretty important and
even when I disagree with the decisions of projects, I'm not sure who
should have the authority to compell them to do something.

It is my earnest hope that this is one mechanism by which we can do that.
Or at least nudge in the right direction. If someone is a comdev committer
that may move them closer to being recognized by their primary project.


On Fri, Oct 2, 2026, 16:33 Dinesh Joshi <[email protected]> wrote:

> Rich -
>
> Happy to see this but frankly the foundation should ensure all projects
> recognize non coding contributors as committers. PMCs that gate keep due to
> lack of code contributions are misinterpreting the idea of a committer and
> need to be addressed.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dinesh
>
> On Fri, Oct 2, 2026 at 1:18 PM Rich Bowen <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > In this week’s office hours, Drew and I discussed the folks who are
> active
> > in community development activities in ASF projects, but are not
> recognized
> > (ie, not made committers) for that work. We’d like to start inviting them
> > to be ComDev Committers, in recognition of that work. Ideally, those
> > projects would do this, but of course a number of projects have a higher
> > bar to inviting someone to Committer status than I think they should. And
> > as I have no influence to get them to change that, this is what I can do.
> >
> > What do y’all think about that?
> >
> > Do you have people in mind that fit this description? (I have a few
> people
> > in mind - notably a bunch of people who have spoken at
> ApacheCon/Community
> > Over Code 3+ times but are still not committers on their various
> projects.
> >
> > —Rich
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
> > For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]
> >
> >
>

Reply via email to