I can't access the google docs behind a corporate firewall, but the JCS spec 
doesn't mention anything about Arrow Union types..

It would probably be best to include Arrow Sparse Union support for something 
like:

[
  {"user_id": 123},
  {"user_id": "Bob"}
]

I can't find the documentation, but I remember reading that arrow union types 
are written to parquet as structs, with metadata info so structs can be 
converted back into Arrow union types when reading parquet. We probably should 
adopt a similar metadata format so the above "user_id" object turns into an 
arrow sparse or dense union type. Dense unions have performance issues and 
probably should be avoided for a simpler format like json.
This message may contain information that is confidential or privileged. If you 
are not the intended recipient, please advise the sender immediately and delete 
this message. See 
https://www.blackrock.com/corporate/compliance/email-disclaimers for further 
information.  Please refer to 
https://www.blackrock.com/corporate/compliance/privacy-policy for more 
information about BlackRock’s Privacy Policy.
For a list of BlackRock's office addresses worldwide, see 
https://www.blackrock.com/corporate/about-us/contacts-locations.

© 2026 BlackRock, Inc. All rights reserved.

Reply via email to