In case anyone else hits this problem and is wondering about the root
cause, it seems to be because snaps generally can't access data from
other applications, so when Thunderbird drops a file into /tmp
LibreOffice can't "see" it. This isn't unique to LibreOffice, it causes
problems for other snaps as well (e.g. Chromium).

This doesn't happen with the non-snap version of LibreOffice distributed
through the Ubuntu archive and available via `apt install`, so switching
to that is a workaround, albeit at a lower version (6.4.2 instead of
7.0.2.2).

There are a few Ask Ubuntu posts with additional information and other
workarounds:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1123537/cant-open-file-attachment-with-
libreoffice-snap

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1046890/libreoffice-cant-access-tmp-
files-in-18-04

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1215305/how-can-i-grant-a-snap-
application-access-to-tmp-via-command-line

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Desktop
Packages, which is subscribed to libreoffice in Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1881603

Title:
  [snap] Cannot open attached file from e-mail

Status in libreoffice package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed

Bug description:
  I installed the LibreOffice snap to get a newer version compared to the apt 
package.  When I receive a LibreOffice document as attachment and try to open 
it from Thunderbird, I get the following error message:
  """
  /tmp/mozilla-antoine0/mydoc.docx doesn't exist
  """

  I don't understand the point of restricting filesystem access from a word 
processor.
  At least this is a clear regression from the apt package.

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libreoffice/+bug/1881603/+subscriptions

-- 
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
Post to     : [email protected]
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Reply via email to