Launchpad has imported 18 comments from the remote bug at
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1427267.

If you reply to an imported comment from within Launchpad, your comment
will be sent to the remote bug automatically. Read more about
Launchpad's inter-bugtracker facilities at
https://help.launchpad.net/InterBugTracking.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
On 2017-12-28T13:31:48+00:00 S-bugzilla-mozilla wrote:

Steps to reproduce:

0. (fresh profile)
1. Navigate to any page with a <video> element on it

- Preferably with human speech, since it's much more noticeable that way
- Suggested links: https://vimeo.com/64654583, 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWD1Fpdd4Pc, 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyfBQmvr2Hc

2. Open the JS Console
3. Run `document.querySelector('video').playbackRate = 3.5` (any number > 2 
works, but higher speeds are much more noticeable)
4. Listen to the audio (there's nothing wrong with the video)

Expected results: Smooth audio playback with no audible stuttering,
skipping, or artifacts

Observed results: Audio with skipping and stuttering, especially
noticeable when there's human speech

Notes:

- Playback works just fine on WebKit and its derivatives (Opera, Chrome, 
Safari, Electron-based apps)
- Playback is also just fine on VLC
- Reproduced on: my 2014 MacBook Pro, a 2013 Mac Mini, and a 1st-gen MacBook, 
all running macOS High Sierra 10.13.2

Reply at:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/1654480/comments/2

------------------------------------------------------------------------
On 2018-01-03T09:15:41+00:00 Suro001 wrote:

I can't repro the issue.

I suspect you network connection is not fast enough so playback can
consume data without underflow. Can you try to download the file and
play it on the local storage? Thanks!

Reply at:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/1654480/comments/3

------------------------------------------------------------------------
On 2018-01-09T07:17:01+00:00 S-bugzilla-mozilla wrote:

Playing a video from the local filesystem has the same effect.
Networking is not the issue since video playback works perfectly fine in
WebKit-based browsers.

For example, compare the playback of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0Tsa3smr1w on Firefox at 3.5 speed v
the same on Safari: audio on Safari is much smoother than FF, especially
since FF skips audio every few seconds. Human speech is practically
undescipherable on FF, but is smooth on Safari.

Reply at:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/1654480/comments/4

------------------------------------------------------------------------
On 2018-01-10T03:59:04+00:00 Suro001 wrote:

Can you launch firefox from the console by doing:
MOZ_LOG=MediaDecoder:4,AudioStream:3 path/to/your/firefox 
"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0Tsa3smr1w";

and submit the logs?

Thanks!

Reply at:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/1654480/comments/5

------------------------------------------------------------------------
On 2018-01-10T09:33:28+00:00 S-bugzilla-mozilla wrote:

Created attachment 8941359
fflog.log

Log from `MOZ_LOG=MediaDecoder:4,AudioStream:3
/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox
"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0Tsa3smr1w"`

Reply at:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/1654480/comments/6

------------------------------------------------------------------------
On 2018-02-20T18:56:39+00:00 Giles-d wrote:

Bryce, do you have any interest in the playback rate stuff?

Reply at:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/1654480/comments/7

------------------------------------------------------------------------
On 2018-02-23T16:33:32+00:00 Bvandyk-0 wrote:

:rillian, I've taken a look and can't repro thus far. I'm going to hold
the needinfo while I wait for some new hardware to arrive and then I'll
be able to test this on OSX and see if I have any more luck.

Reply at:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/1654480/comments/8

------------------------------------------------------------------------
On 2018-04-11T15:36:00+00:00 Bvandyk-0 wrote:

I've been unable to repro this on OSX and a couple of other systems I've
tested.

Isaac, are you still seeing issue? If so, could you please gather a log
using MOZ_LOG=MediaFormatReader:5?

Reply at:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/1654480/comments/9

------------------------------------------------------------------------
On 2018-04-12T04:45:55+00:00 S-bugzilla-mozilla wrote:

Created attachment 8967249
newlog.log.gz

Log from `MOZ_LOG=MediaFormatReader:5 /Applications/Firefox\ Developer\
Edition.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin`

I changed the playback rate about 5-10 secs into the video playing

Reply at:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/1654480/comments/10

------------------------------------------------------------------------
On 2018-04-12T04:51:46+00:00 S-bugzilla-mozilla wrote:

Created attachment 8967250
firefox.mp3

A loopback recording of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzsnzeaOD84
played at 4x speed from firefox. I have the raw wav file if needed.

Reply at:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/1654480/comments/11

------------------------------------------------------------------------
On 2018-04-12T04:52:28+00:00 S-bugzilla-mozilla wrote:

Created attachment 8967251
opera.mp3

A loopback recording of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzsnzeaOD84
played at 4x speed from Opera. I have the raw wav file if needed for
further analysis.

Reply at:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/1654480/comments/12

------------------------------------------------------------------------
On 2018-04-12T04:55:21+00:00 S-bugzilla-mozilla wrote:

If you play the recording from firefox, you can see that the words are
mangled, compared to that from Opera. You can clearly tell that some
audio segments are completely skipped over if you slow down the
playback. The audio from Opera isn't that different, from what I can
hear, to that of Chrome's. I haven't tested it on Safari.

I can upload wav files for analysis if you need them.

Reply at:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/1654480/comments/13

------------------------------------------------------------------------
On 2018-05-20T09:43:50+00:00 S-bugzilla-mozilla wrote:

I can reproduce this bug on version 61.0b6, currently the latest release
for Developer Edition.

Reply at:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/1654480/comments/14

------------------------------------------------------------------------
On 2018-07-16T03:59:25+00:00 Alex Korchemniy wrote:

This is the #1 reason I don't use Firefox for YouTube. Chrome plays back
audio smoothly at 4x. Firefox sounds like it's dropping samples after
2x. This might not be problematic for music, but extremely problematic
for speech.

I started digging into the Firefox code for playback adjustments. It
looks like Firefox uses the SoundTouch library: https://dxr.mozilla.org
/mozilla-central/source/media/libsoundtouch/src/RateTransposer.h. I'm
not sure if this bug exists upstream.

Reply at:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/1654480/comments/16

------------------------------------------------------------------------
On 2018-09-15T12:22:56+00:00 Plurtu wrote:

I did a visual comparison of the two samples in Audacity and while they
look similar there are occasionally dropped words which are detectable
in playback. For example 8 seconds into the Firefox sample (27 seconds
in original) is the line "So for people who don't know" and the word
"for" is missing.

The intro tune at 5 seconds has a wavy max amplitude when it should be
relatively flat and have a faster beat.

I recorded my own sample on Nightly 64 Ubuntu 18.04 and was able to
reproduce the issue.

Reply at:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/1654480/comments/18

------------------------------------------------------------------------
On 2018-09-15T12:24:34+00:00 Plurtu wrote:

Created attachment 9009353
missing-word.png

Reply at:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/1654480/comments/19

------------------------------------------------------------------------
On 2018-09-15T12:25:11+00:00 Plurtu wrote:

Created attachment 9009354
wavy-intro-tune.png

Reply at:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/1654480/comments/20

------------------------------------------------------------------------
On 2018-12-27T05:29:35+00:00 Plurtu wrote:

*** Bug 1515054 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***

Reply at:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/1654480/comments/21


** Changed in: firefox
       Status: Unknown => Confirmed

** Changed in: firefox
   Importance: Unknown => Medium

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Desktop
Packages, which is subscribed to firefox in Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1654480

Title:
  HTML5 sound choppy when played at 4x

Status in Mozilla Firefox:
  Confirmed
Status in firefox package in Ubuntu:
  New

Bug description:
  I use a bookmarklet to set the playback rate on the HTML5 player
  element to 4x (tested with YouTube). Chrome handles the audio
  flawlessly, but Firefox becomes choppy after 2x.

  Here's the bookmarklet. The following line may get mangled or removed...
  
"javascript:%7Bvar%20v%3Ddocument.getElementsByTagName(%22video%22)%5B0%5D%3Bv.playbackRate%3D4%3B%7Dvoid(0)%3B"

  ProblemType: Bug
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 16.04
  Package: firefox 50.1.0+build2-0ubuntu0.16.04.1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.4.0-57.78-generic 4.4.35
  Uname: Linux 4.4.0-57-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_modeset nvidia
  AddonCompatCheckDisabled: False
  ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.4
  Architecture: amd64
  BuildID: 20161209095719
  Channel: Unavailable
  CurrentDesktop: GNOME
  Date: Thu Jan  5 20:28:52 2017
  Extensions: extensions.sqlite corrupt or missing
  ForcedLayersAccel: False
  IfupdownConfig:
   # interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
   auto lo
   iface lo inet loopback
  IncompatibleExtensions: Unavailable (corrupt or non-existant 
compatibility.ini or extensions.sqlite)
  InstallationDate: Installed on 2016-12-21 (16 days ago)
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Release amd64 
(20160719)
  IpRoute:
   default via 192.168.0.1 dev enp9s0  proto static  metric 100 
   169.254.0.0/16 dev enp9s0  scope link  metric 1000 
   172.17.0.0/16 dev docker0  proto kernel  scope link  src 172.17.0.1 linkdown 
   192.168.0.0/24 dev enp9s0  proto kernel  scope link  src 192.168.0.108  
metric 100
  Locales: extensions.sqlite corrupt or missing
  Plugins:
   Gnome Shell Integration - 
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libgnome-shell-browser-plugin.so (gnome-shell)
   Shockwave Flash - /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so
  PrefSources: prefs.js
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=en_US
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/zsh
  Profiles: Profile0 (Default) - LastVersion=50.1.0/20161209095719 (In use)
  RelatedPackageVersions: gnome-shell 3.18.5-0ubuntu0.2
  RunningIncompatibleAddons: False
  SourcePackage: firefox
  Themes: extensions.sqlite corrupt or missing
  UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
  dmi.bios.date: 04/11/2016
  dmi.bios.vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
  dmi.bios.version: 1.40
  dmi.board.asset.tag: Default string
  dmi.board.name: X99A GODLIKE GAMING (MS-7883)
  dmi.board.vendor: MSI
  dmi.board.version: 1.0
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: Default string
  dmi.chassis.type: 3
  dmi.chassis.vendor: MSI
  dmi.chassis.version: 1.0
  dmi.modalias: 
dmi:bvnAmericanMegatrendsInc.:bvr1.40:bd04/11/2016:svnMSI:pnMS-7883:pvr1.0:rvnMSI:rnX99AGODLIKEGAMING(MS-7883):rvr1.0:cvnMSI:ct3:cvr1.0:
  dmi.product.name: MS-7883
  dmi.product.version: 1.0
  dmi.sys.vendor: MSI

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/firefox/+bug/1654480/+subscriptions

-- 
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
Post to     : [email protected]
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Reply via email to