I can't believe this is still in. Is CUPS unused in enterprise
environments? At our offce we identiy with an account number as to
assign printout costs to department accounts rather than individual
users. I have to set a username for printig, without identifiication,
printouts get silently ignored.

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Desktop
Packages, which is subscribed to cups in Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/856776

Title:
  Cannot declare itself as another username with CUPS server

Status in Common Print Dialog:
  New
Status in “cups” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed

Bug description:
  Originally posted on http://askubuntu.com/questions/61095/use-
  different-username-on-cups-remote-printing :

  > I'm using CUPS to print on an enterprise network. The job gets submitted 
fine, but I need to submit it as another username. Now  I'm `jon` but I need to 
send it as say `jonallard`.
  > 
  > On the command line, one could print as such
  > 
  >     lp -U jonallard -d printer1 file.ext
  > 
  > How do I customize the *username* part when using the GUI printing dialogs 
and the Printing system settings?
  > 
  > It is possible that it isn't, in fact, possible to add this username to the 
Ubuntu print config. If so, where should I ask for an improvement?"

  Martin Owens -doctormo-@AskUbuntu suggested I add the username in the
  IPP URI directly. The printer address dialog won't let me do that.

  Is this a bug or is there some hidden place to put this username or
  should it be improved?

  ProblemType: Bug
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.04
  Package: system-config-printer-gnome 1.3.1+20110222-0ubuntu16.3
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.38-11.48-generic 2.6.38.8
  Uname: Linux 2.6.38-11-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  Architecture: amd64
  CupsErrorLog:
   
  Date: Thu Sep 22 16:17:38 2011
  ExecutablePath: /usr/share/system-config-printer/system-config-printer.py
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Release amd64 (20110427.1)
  InterpreterPath: /usr/bin/python2.7
  Lpstat: device for uprint-mono: 
ipp://cups.ncs.mcgill.ca:631/printers/mcgill_mono
  MachineType: LENOVO 427637U
  PackageArchitecture: all
  Papersize: letter
  PpdFiles: uprint-mono: Generic PCL Laser Printer
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=en_CA:en
   LANG=en_CA.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-11-generic 
root=UUID=264a98b8-d582-4814-bb46-81adf856e638 ro splash vga=795 quiet splash 
vt.handoff=7
  SourcePackage: system-config-printer
  UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
  dmi.bios.date: 05/13/2011
  dmi.bios.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.bios.version: 8BET44WW (1.24 )
  dmi.board.asset.tag: Not Available
  dmi.board.name: 427637U
  dmi.board.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.board.version: Not Available
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: No Asset Information
  dmi.chassis.type: 10
  dmi.chassis.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.chassis.version: Not Available
  dmi.modalias: 
dmi:bvnLENOVO:bvr8BET44WW(1.24):bd05/13/2011:svnLENOVO:pn427637U:pvrThinkPadW520:rvnLENOVO:rn427637U:rvrNotAvailable:cvnLENOVO:ct10:cvrNotAvailable:
  dmi.product.name: 427637U
  dmi.product.version: ThinkPad W520
  dmi.sys.vendor: LENOVO

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/common-print-dialog-gtk/+bug/856776/+subscriptions

-- 
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
Post to     : [email protected]
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Reply via email to