One more point.  When the Nautilus designers replaced type-ahead find with 
search-as-you-type, their intention was that searching as you type would be 
really fast because Nautilus would use Tracker to search.  See, for example, 
the comment https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=680118#c4 : "Nautilus 
will build with a Tracker dependency by default unless
--disable-tracker is used. That is strongly not recommended. Search is going to 
kind of suck without it."

Because Ubuntu does not use Tracker, searching as you type in Nautilus
is especially painful on Ubuntu, and so the removal of type-ahead find
affects Ubuntu users especially acutely.

So in Ubuntu we could enable Tracker, which would alleviate the problem
somewhat, and/or patch type-ahead find back in.  I lean toward the
patch: it's probably really easy.  But I agree with Alfredo that finding
some solution to this should have more than a Low importance.

** Bug watch added: GNOME Bug Tracker #680118
   https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=680118

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Desktop
Packages, which is subscribed to nautilus in Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1164016

Title:
  restore type-ahead find

Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed

Bug description:
  GNOME removed type-ahead find in Nautilus 3.6, not without
  controversy:

  https://mail.gnome.org/archives/nautilus-
  list/2012-August/msg00002.html

  Now when you type in a Nautilus window, Nautilus immediately performs
  a search in the current directory and all its subdirectories.  I
  personally find this annoying.  If I want to search, I'll click the
  search icon.  Often I'm looking at a long directory listing and simply
  want to jump to a certain point in it, and type-ahead find works great
  for that.

  Would Ubuntu consider patching type-ahead find back in?

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/1164016/+subscriptions

-- 
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
Post to     : [email protected]
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Reply via email to