@Colin Law: Disabling Firebug fixes all problems but I need Firebug so I
chose to disable the "Global Menu Bar integration" add-on.

Some updates a couple of weeks ago introduced the problem of Firefox
crashing (probably a Firebug 1.10.x update or a Firefox 14.0.1 update?)
- this happened after pressing the Alt key to show the HUD _and_ only
after typing a single character in it, as far as I remember.

I twice had updates during the last week but have only suspended and
haven't restarted until today when FF crashed. I restarted and few
seconds later it crashed again.  I thought some of the loaded sites
caused the crash so I ignored the saved session but even with an empty
session it kept on crashing. Then running FF with the --safe-mode option
I disabled all my add-ons and enabling one by one I found that the
Global Menu Bar integration one failed.  I think an up-to-date Ubuntu
with Firefox 14.0.1, Firebug 1.10.2 and the Global Menu Bar integration
add-on are enough to reproduce.

So the problem just got worse soon - Firefox keeps on crashing after each 
restart and cannot be used at all.
As far as disabling the extension is concerned - it's not just a matter of 
using or not using the HUD, this also ruins FF's menu from going over the top 
panel and shows the menu in FF's window itself.

I really hope this gets fixed soon for which I'll be deeply grateful!

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Desktop
Packages, which is subscribed to firefox in Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1025011

Title:
  Firebug extension causes firefox to crash (can be triggered by opening
  HUD)

Status in The Mozilla Firefox Browser:
  Confirmed
Status in Unity global menubar extension for Firefox and Thunderbird:
  Fix Committed
Status in “firefox” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “firefox” source package in Natty:
  Fix Committed
Status in “firefox” source package in Oneiric:
  Fix Committed
Status in “firefox” source package in Precise:
  Fix Committed
Status in “firefox” source package in Quantal:
  Fix Released

Bug description:
  Searching for any text causes Firefox 13.0.1 to crash on Ubuntu 12.04
  ( both 32 & 64 bit **1).

  Test case:

  1. Hit ALT to bring up the HUD search box
  2. Type one or more words into the textbox.

  Expected result:

  1. HUD appears ready to search
  2. Results appear depending on the search term.

  What actually happens:

  1. HUD appears ready to search
  2. Results appear, however firefox crashes shortly after.

  == Additional information ==

  Running firefox in safe mode makes HUD ignore firefox. In this
  situation Firefox doesn't crash.

  **1: I can reproduce this bug on 64 bit Ubuntu. Peter Cawkell is
  experiencing this bug on 32 bit ( see coments )

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/firefox/+bug/1025011/+subscriptions

-- 
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
Post to     : [email protected]
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Reply via email to